ShopSmith Refurb w/pictures

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kaba
Gold Member

ShopSmith Refurb w/pictures

Post by kaba »

I previously posted pictures of my 1986 Model 510 on the day I received it, (7/26/2008). It is still very much a work-in-process but I've accomplished a great deal in these two weeks.
With a great deal of work I managed to get the bench tubes in fair shape.

I tried to do the same with the way tubes but there was significant pitting so I bought some replacements on e-bay.

I had the headstock checked and it was in overall good shape. The belts were replaced and there is a quill assembly on the way as the spindle was bent and would not feed or retract without a great deal of effort.
I've put all of the knobs, levers, and exposed metal work on my buffing wheel and they come out well.

I've added two 1X3" tubular aluminum leg braces which will eventually hold a shelf on top and serve as a support for two or three drawers below.

Most of the painted metal has been stripped down to bare metal. I've eliminated the rust and tried to clean-up some of the casting and machining marks.

I've repainted using non-stock colors. I selected Hammered Copper and Hammered Bronze. Some probably won't like these colors but I do. It actually looks very nice with the contrasting bright metal surfaces.

Here is the SS

And a closer look at the headstock sans quill assembly.

The tables have some stains from oxidation which I've not been able to completely remove.

I still have several changes and improvements to be done but hopefully by this time next week I'll be able to make some serious sawdust.

It would be hard to express how much I've enjoyed this process. I'm afraid I've caught the ShopSmith disease and will almost certainly be adding another in the next several months.

If anyone lives in the Florida Panhandle and would like to swap tips and/or war stories I'd be happy to meet you.

Thanks for looking.
cityslicker2
Gold Member

Post by cityslicker2 »

Kaba: nice job on the paintwork. I like the color combination. Did you use rattle cans or sprayer? Steve
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

kaba,
You did a great job, looks like a new machine.Now it is time to make saw dust and have fun with it. I am about 150 to 200 miles south of you.
Eric, Sebring Fl.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

kaba,

I like your choice of colors. The refurb job looks fantastic. You've done a great job. Now I hope you have as much fun making sawdust.

Whatever you do, do it safely! It's much more fun, in the long run.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kaba
Gold Member

Post by kaba »

I just used the Rust Oleum rattle cans.

They've certainly improved the quality of the nozzles on rattle cans in the last several years. You can get a reasonably good and consistent spray pattern from them now.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

LOOKING good there, I compared it to the day you brought it home. http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2095

BIG difference.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

==================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

It looks great, kaba! As soon as you get that new quill in, you can "go to town"!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

It looks very nice, great job, but will it cut wood? Just kidding. The refurb is a good example for those wanting to return a basket case to all its glory.

Happy sawdust making.
~mike
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi kaba,

I'm curious -- you got an old Bandsaw too, correct? What colors will you do for that?

Enjoy,
Chris