Old router bits

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wgander
Gold Member

Old router bits

Post by wgander »

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement 1/4" router arbor for interchangeable cutters and edge guides?
I have a set of Sears router cutters (probably from the '70s) with an arbor and several edge guides. The shaft of the arbor is bent and I can't find anything comparable. I've checked Sears, Rockler, Home Depot, Lowe's.
It looks like all of todays cutters are a single piece - cutter, guide and arbor.

Otherwise, I'll have to start buying new router bits each time I start a new project.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

wgander
I have a set of those router bits too. If yours are like mine do yourself a favor and toss them and get an new bit. Mine were high speed steel and to me were poorly made which is probably why you can't find a replacement for them.
My advice toss them and get yourself a good new carbide bit and see the world of difference.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

i had some of those also. i used them quite a bit for small projects like ogees on shelves and the supports under them. i had two different types one was sears and the cutters screwed on a threaded end. the other was vermont-american that had a locknut on the end. i still see the vermont-american one at flea markets quite often. i think i still have a sears shaft with four different pilots.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

wgander
Gold Member

old bits

Post by wgander »

Thanks, Nick. I bid on them.
"Vintage" bits...guess 'm getting old.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi wgander,

Many years ago, I inherited a box of HSS Craftsman bits that my grandfather had, along with his Craftsman router. I used, perhaps abused, these bits, but they just did knot do the job for me. I had all but decided that routing was knot worth the effort, until I found and started using the carbide tipped anti-kickback bits. I wood never return to those other bits. Just my 2 cents worth.:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

I still have -- and use -- a set of the Sears bits we're discussing. Bought them in the early 70s. It's a little-known fact, but a fact nonetheless, that you can get good tool steel sharper than carbide with a little elbow grease and polishing compound. I use these bits on figured woods for just that reason. The edge doesn't last as long as carbide, but it cuts cleaner while it's sharp.

With all good wishes,
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgander
Gold Member

router bits

Post by wgander »

Thanks!
I sent you a PM.

Bill