Headstock lock won't lock/turn

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

samrand
Bronze Member

Post by samrand »

I have a Shopsmith 510 which I have had for several years. I use it rather infrequently, but I have kept it clean and dry. Now the headstock lock is extremely difficult to turn and will not lock. I have tried to lubricate it sparingly with graphite. Not much luck. Can anyone offer me some suggestions. I'd really appreciate it.
Samrand
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

I had this happen to me about a year ago. The threads on the locks had been stripped from over tightening. If you can still back the lock out I would try that first to check the threads. It's an easy fix and SS of course has the parts. I had to take the headstock off of the way tubes and hacksaw out the threaded rod on mine to fix the problem. Lesson learned the hard way. Don't over tighten the lock.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

We will be covering how to replace the wedge locks in both the headstock and the carriage in an upcoming Sawdust Session as part of our "Goldie" rebuild.

With all good wishes,
grayhane
Silver Member

Headstock lock

Post by grayhane »

You can find all the information you need in the sawdust videos on the SS site, but as was said, taking a look at the parts is the first thing you should do. If the wedges are not flat, and the rod has stripped threads, then you need to replace the parts. In this kind of repair there is no short cuts , just look at the exploded view, and the videos, then drop pull and replace what is needed. Most important, avoid over tightening the new parts ....
cityslicker2
Gold Member

Post by cityslicker2 »

Just curious if anyone has been successful at simply filing the contact surfaces of the wedges so that a flat surface is restored. They seem to have enough material to do that and with the motor pan dropped you have good access for a small file. I know the replacements are fairly inexpensive but this would avoid pulling them and simplify things a bit. What do you say Nick or Bill Mayo? Thanks Steve.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I would not file the wedge locks for several reasons. I have not found any wedge locks that was so deformed that they would require filing. I believe you would have to remove the wedge locks anyway so you could easlly file them flat. I find when there is a problem with locking the headstock, the threads in the aluminum wedge locks are close to or have started stripping (damaged) inside the wedge locks. The steel rod should also be replaced if the rod threads looks like they are damaged. I had to hacksaw the rod most times to remove the wedges when they are damaged. Be careful when removing and installing the headstock Lock Handle roll pin so that you do not bend the steel rod. Have good support for the handle.

The wedge locks are much cheaper to replace than filing the wedge and rethreading the wedge locks only to have them fail along with the rod the next time some one overtightens the Headstock Lock handle. This goes back to operating the headstock regularly, lubicating the sheaves and do not overtighten any Shopsmith handle to prevent problems (my soapbox).
cityslicker2 wrote:Just curious if anyone has been successful at simply filing the contact surfaces of the wedges so that a flat surface is restored. They seem to have enough material to do that and with the motor pan dropped you have good access for a small file. I know the replacements are fairly inexpensive but this would avoid pulling them and simplify things a bit. What do you say Nick or Bill Mayo? Thanks Steve.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)