Power Pro 110 to 220 converter attachment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mikelst
Gold Member

Re: Power Pro 110 to 220 converter attachment

Post by mikelst »

Here is my thought on this.

Put a 230vac 15 amp plug on the power pro. make a 120 to 230 patch cord for your shopsmith.

Most of us don't have a bunch of 230 corded devices around the shop so the shopsmith is likely :rolleyes: the only thing that will plug into the 230 outlet. Then if you need to hook it up to 120 use the patch cable that you made for the shopsmith cord :) .

Now you wont have a 120 outlet on a cord attache to 230 :confused: so you are less likely :p to destroy 120 devices by inadvertently attaching it to 230. :eek:

Just my thoughts tho.

Mike
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The lesser of the evils! :)

In any event, do NOT connect a 120V receptacle to 240V source!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

mikelst wrote:Here is my thought on this.

Put a 230vac 15 amp plug on the power pro. make a 120 to 230 patch cord for your shopsmith.

Most of us don't have a bunch of 230 corded devices around the shop so the shopsmith is likely :rolleyes: the only thing that will plug into the 230 outlet. Then if you need to hook it up to 120 use the patch cable that you made for the shopsmith cord :) .

Now you wont have a 120 outlet on a cord attache to 230 :confused: so you are less likely :p to destroy 120 devices by inadvertently attaching it to 230. :eek:

Just my thoughts tho.

Mike
If you want to screw things up then make a non code cheater adapter. If you have 220 outlets in your shop then put a 220 plug in the SS and be done with it. As per the MS instructions. If you want to run the SS on 220 why would you want to go back?

A cheater cord is just asking for big trouble when you forget or for someone else in the future.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I know my Electrics kinda, not Electronics, just enough to be dangerous, The PP is electronic, I got to figure it is sensitive to voltage, why mess with a good thing??
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm curious. Are there other products that work on either 110 or 220 and if there is - how do they deal with this?

Yes, there are 110/220 motors but all of them that I know of require rewiring. Shopsmith has a motor that uses 220. Is it switchable between 110 and 220?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I'll admit I have considered making a cheater. The reason is that my shop has only one 220 outlet, which is normally dedicated to my lathe. The PowerPro is situated on the opposite side of the room by a 120 20A outlet. I am not ripping out walls to add 220 to that side of the room for the very few times I need (want) a bit more oomph from the PowerPro for some heavy cutting etc. Those few times a cheater would be the answer.

That said --

If I go that route I am putting a 220 plug on the PowerPro and will tie-wrap a 220 to 100 cheater to the end. The reason is that I don't want a 110 to 220 cheater. Plugging a 110 device into 220 could damage or destroy the device, and more importantly, could injure or kill the user. Plugging a 220 device into 110 might damage the device, but is unlikely to do any further harm. It would be the equivalent of having something plugged in during a brown-out.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ER, he is not messing with the electronics, he is providing a way for it to have the higher voltage by replacing the 115v plug with a 230v plug. The cheater is to 'allow' plugging it into a 115v receptacle. With the cheater he gets optional use. The electronics does not care, it works on either voltage(and anything in between I dare assume).

There are plugs/sockets that allow dual voltage use. The power inlet connector is rated for either voltage. A power cord plugs into that inlet connector with the appropriate plug for the intended receptacle(115 or 230).

They are not a common item.

This has been disclosed previously by Buckeye.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
marcs4095
Silver Member

Post by marcs4095 »

In wiring the PP cord to a 230 Male plug with four terminals (two Hot, a Neutral and a Ground) does the cord ground wire go to the 230 Ground terminal or to the Neutral terminal or both?
My electrician did not know (had never needed to do this before)and suggested trying it to the ground first and, if it didn't work, rewire it to the Neutral. I want to do it correctly so please help me here.
Marc
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

marcs4095 wrote:In wiring the PP cord to a 230 Male plug with four terminals (two Hot, a Neutral and a Ground) does the cord ground wire go to the 230 Ground terminal or to the Neutral terminal or both?
My electrician did not know (had never needed to do this before)and suggested trying it to the ground first and, if it didn't work, rewire it to the Neutral. I want to do it correctly so please help me here.
Marc
If "your electrician" does knot know get a different electrician. He does not know what he is doing visa-a-vi the current code.

We had 3 wire 220 for ever. Neutral is ground. Then someone decided that we needed 4 wire. Neutral and ground. The thing is that the neutral and ground wire are tied together in the breaker box. So what is the difference? There will be all sorts of explanations that will try to make a case but we existed for many many years with 3 wire 220 voltage in our houses without a problem. Your electric stove and dryer for example.

My understanding is that IF you took 110V off the remote location they did not want the return current going down the uninstalled ground wire in a 3 wire instillation even though it was reasonably insulated. Hence the 4 wire cable with the neutral wire insulated.

Just wire it neutral to neutral and ground to ground.

Btw, my 2009 Powermatic 3HP table saw is 220V and is only 3 wire.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The proper receptacle type is 6-15r or 6-20r and the plug type is 6-15p or 6-20p (15A or 20A as appropriate to the wiring).

The pp power cord is three wire, two hot and a GROUND.

If yer 'electrician' does not know if ground/neutral 'will work', thee needs to find another.

FWIW a 6-20r will mate with either a 6-20p or a 6-15p.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝