scroll saw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sawmill
Gold Member

scroll saw

Post by sawmill »

I bought a scroll saw today and I need to know if the power coupler hooks up to the top hub or the bottom hub on my 500 headstock. Thanks Ivan
albie
Gold Member

Order a manual

Post by albie »

Untill you can order a manual from Shopsmith, you might want to review one of Shopsmith's sites:
http://www.woodworkingscrollsaw.com/page2.htm

There are tips and photos there that will help you.

Al B
Al B
Shopsmith Greenie (my late Dad's); My 520, 6" Belt Sander, Bandsaw, Jointer, pro planer, scroll saw, Jig saw, strip sander, router table, OPR, dust collector, power station, & power stands
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Are you referring to the newer scoll saw or the older model which is no longer made?

If you are writing about the newer scroll saw, it attaches to the lower drive hub on the headstock. If you are referring to the older-style scroll saw, it is driven by the top drive hub on the headstock.

The newer scroll saw and jointer are the only two SPT's Shopsmith makes right now that run off the lower hub. The lower hub's RPM's are too fast for any of the other SPTs. Hope this helps.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

Woodburner, thanks for the info. It is the new style and I went ahead and tried it last night on the lower hub and it worked. The owners manual does not show a clear picture or tell which hub to hook it up to that is why I asked on here. Thanks again
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I've never used one, but wouldn't it only line up with one of them? How could there be any confusion as to which hub to use?
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

All the other things I have hook up to the top hub and this being newer by many years would only line up with the bottom hub. From what I have read the bottom hub turns at a different RPM than the top one.