Am I missing something?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Am I missing something?

Post by tom_k/mo »

I have a brand new 520, and the first hole I tried drilling with it, I'm noticing that there seems to be some "slop" somewhere because it looks like my drill bit is getting some wobble at the end. I know Nick talked about the double bearing quill having less run-out than the single bearing, and a 520 should definitely be a double bearing, but I'm definitely seeing wobble at the end of the bit (it's a brand new bit and it's not bent). Feeling the chuck, it seems that the chuck isn't wobbling or if it is, definitely not as much as at the end of the drill bit. I went around all 3 holes on the chuck and tightened the chuck 3 times and went back and ensured that the bit wasn't seated in the chuck off-center. The adjustment on the back of the power head that sets a depth limit was not set or tightened. Could that have caused play in the quill? I was drilling 7mm holes in pen blanks to fit the brass tubes and I really don't need slop in these holes making them oversize. Anyone know what I'm missing?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

The ONLY thing I can think of is the bit wasn't centered, but you all ready checked that. The depth limit woudn't cause it. Take the bit out of the chuck, take the chuck off the spindle and reinstall them. Also roll the bit on a flat surface, just to make sure it isn't bent.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The chuck has three fingers that close in around the bit. Close the chuck until the opening between those three fingers is just large enough to accept the desired bit. Tighten the chuck down on the bit and then tighten the chuck using the key. Tighten at all three holes in the chuck as you mentioned.

Turn on the Mark V and just look at the tip of the bit. If it is wobbling you'll be able to see it.

If you are not convinced that it is turning true, bring the drill bit down on a piece of scrap wood and just barely touch the wood with the tip of the bit. Inspect the track made by the bit when you did this. It should be a point. If it is a small circle you have wobble. If fact, you will have a problem that keeps this thread going for days. That is very unlikely.

Your quill is definitely a two bearing and I do not believe you will have any excessive runout on a new Mark V.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi
Do you have a brad point drill bit? If you do chuck that bit into the drill chuck and try your test again. If the point of the bit stays still and does not go in a circle then it is OK. Is it possible that the drill bit you are using is not ground symmetrically, that is one cutting edge not at the same angle as the other? This would give the illusion of a wobble at the tip. Another way to checkis to chuck a V groove router bit in the drill chuck and turn the machine while observing the point of the bit while you run the machine through the speed range and see if ther eis really a wobble at the point.
Bill
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

The bit is definitely wobbling. It's a brand new 7mm bit from Pen State Industries for drilling center holes in pen blanks. I will do a test in the morning to measure the amount of wobble at the tip. I have checked the bit, it is not bent/warped, and I have checked that it is mounted squarely in the chuck and that the chuck is tightened well. The only thing I didn't check was the mounting of the chuck on the spindle (Doh...). I'll check that too tomorrow.

Since I'm still new with a SS, this may be a dumb question, but bare with me for a second... When I took the saw blade and blade housing off, there was a silver knurled (if I remember right) ring still on the quill held on by a separate set screw. Should that stay on the quill?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Tom! I'm with the guys above! Try another bit just for a test. When you tighten the bit in the chuck make sure you do the tightening gently in each of the key holes. (just like you did earlier). If the test bit wobbles, then there is a problem somewhere. It is my guess the 7mm bit is slightly bent.

Of course, you have to check the chuck's position on the quill.

Good Luck! You shouldn't be having this issue!!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Tom,
When you check the mounting of the chuck to the quill, also check the chuck itself to be sure it is clean and has nothing in it that could cause it to go on misaligned.

Bruce
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Tom
The silver kurled nut should stay on the quill at all times.
It is a bearing retainer for the quill bearing. There should be some filler of some sort in the set screw hole to prevent accidentally loosening the nut when mounting or removing accessories.
Bill
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Tom,

Looking at it from a different viewpoint; could the pen blank knot be stationary while drilling? I do knot see what you can be missing. There are not many options to cause this problem:

1) Quill wobble caused by bad bearings

2) Something wrong with the chuck

3) Something foreign in the chuck

4) Chuck knot located on the quill properly

5) Bent bit

6) Project not being held stationary

Can anyone add to this list? I know that you have checked the bit, but IMHO, the most likely culprits are a bent bit or the project knot being held stationary.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.