Twin Potty Chairs with a Story

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cham-ed
Gold Member

Re: Twin Potty Chairs with a Story

Post by cham-ed »

tdubnik wrote:This story starts about 30 years ago when my wife was potty training our son. She had a potty chair with a tray so that when she sat him down, he couldn't get up until he finished his business and she let him up. She was old school and started this process when he was under a year old. By the time he was 14 months old, he was completely trained and out of diapers.

Our grandson is now 10 months old and stays with us every Friday. She is anxious to start the training process with him. She searched high and low for a potty chair with a tray but none were to be found. She perused the internet with no luck. She lamented to me and I off-handedly said I could probably make one. This got her excited BUT I would have to make two; one for us and one for our son.

This shows what I wound up with. The potty was actually pruchased and I built the potty stand WITH tray to satisfy my wife. She is very happy with the results and can't wait for our grandson to get here on Friday so she can test it out.

This picture shows both chairs completed and sitting on my workbench. The frame and tray are maple made with some short pieces I had laying around. I didn't have enough maple for the platform that the potty sits on so that is made from generic whitewood I had laying around.

This shows a head on view of a single chair. The tray pieces had a nice curly grain pattern. I routed the tray recess with my newly purchased OPR. I had to make a special OPR pin to match the 1 1/4" tray bit I used.

This shows the pieces for the tray locking mechanism. I could have purchased a metal tray mechanism but decided to make my own instead.

This is the tray lock attached to the underside of the tray. It works well and holds the tray securely.

I earned a few wifey points on this project and now I'll have to figure out best to cash them in.
I don't know if this is too old and if you remember 6 years later but? I have a couple of questions I'm thinking of stealing this design and making a similar potty. I'd love a little more detail on the latch pin. In the assembled drawing it looks like the "pin" has 2 diameters but the disassembled it doesn't show that. So anything you could tell about it would be a help.
Second, how did you keep the purchased plastic potty attached to the base. In particular so it wouldn't slide around? Details would save me a lot of planning. I am assuming the chair with a tray did the job.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

With the tray could double as a low chair ;)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

cham-ed wrote:
tdubnik wrote:This story starts about 30 years ago when my wife was potty training our son. She had a potty chair with a tray so that when she sat him down, he couldn't get up until he finished his business and she let him up. She was old school and started this process when he was under a year old. By the time he was 14 months old, he was completely trained and out of diapers.

Our grandson is now 10 months old and stays with us every Friday. She is anxious to start the training process with him. She searched high and low for a potty chair with a tray but none were to be found. She perused the internet with no luck. She lamented to me and I off-handedly said I could probably make one. This got her excited BUT I would have to make two; one for us and one for our son.

This shows what I wound up with. The potty was actually pruchased and I built the potty stand WITH tray to satisfy my wife. She is very happy with the results and can't wait for our grandson to get here on Friday so she can test it out.

This picture shows both chairs completed and sitting on my workbench. The frame and tray are maple made with some short pieces I had laying around. I didn't have enough maple for the platform that the potty sits on so that is made from generic whitewood I had laying around.

This shows a head on view of a single chair. The tray pieces had a nice curly grain pattern. I routed the tray recess with my newly purchased OPR. I had to make a special OPR pin to match the 1 1/4" tray bit I used.

This shows the pieces for the tray locking mechanism. I could have purchased a metal tray mechanism but decided to make my own instead.

This is the tray lock attached to the underside of the tray. It works well and holds the tray securely.

I earned a few wifey points on this project and now I'll have to figure out best to cash them in.
I don't know if this is too old and if you remember 6 years later but? I have a couple of questions I'm thinking of stealing this design and making a similar potty. I'd love a little more detail on the latch pin. In the assembled drawing it looks like the "pin" has 2 diameters but the disassembled it doesn't show that. So anything you could tell about it would be a help.
Second, how did you keep the purchased plastic potty attached to the base. In particular so it wouldn't slide around? Details would save me a lot of planning. I am assuming the chair with a tray did the job.
The second diameter is just a section of a larger dowel drilled out to fit over the original dowel. It allows you to grab the knob easier. The chair is not attached. It just sits on the base but when the child is sitting on it and the tray is in place, there's not much room to move around. There is also a crosspiece on the back between the uprights which keeps it from sliding backward.