saw stop

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

drl
Gold Member

Re: saw stop

Post by drl »

Regards to Farmers comment about saw cuts in miter-gauge: It can happen because, unfortnately, I have accomplished it. Tilt the table to the right at 45 degrees, blade height set for a deep cut, and the miter-gauge in the left miter-slot set for a 90 degree cut and you get all kinds of aluminum shavings. Had it happen probably within the first two weeks of having owned it. Hasn't happened since because I'm aware of it. I did not research this to see if it was an "illegal operation"--perhaps the manual addresses this. I have the 520 table system FYI.
Regards,
Dwight
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

Gene Howe wrote:Saw a YouTube video some time ago where a "Blade Stop" system on a band saw was used in a meat cutting operation.
I don't seem to be able to post the link. Just search YouTube for Blade Stop.
looked it up great video, I knew saw stop worked, had no idea it worked that well, really amazing. I thought you probably would still get a small cut but save your finger from getting cut off, but the video showed you get nothing...not even a nick, nothing, really is amazing.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It is not an"illegal operation" but it certainly is unwise and demonstrates a lack of familiarity with the machine. I know. I have two miter guages to show that it can happen a second time.

The combination of required circumstances is a setup for embarrassment.

Word to the wise. Don't do it with the Incra Miter Gauge. That puppy is made from other than cast aluminum.

I'll have to look now. I don't even know if it can be done with that miter gauge.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.