Zeroplay Guide Bar System

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Dansmith
Gold Member

Zeroplay Guide Bar System

Post by Dansmith »

Recently bought Zeroplay Guide Bar System (2) to use to make a cross cut sled for my SS and my Contractors saw. I am impressed with the apparent quality and design. It is made of some type of synthetic material and a little over 9" long.

I fit it on my SS 500 table and it eliminates side to side play, and moves freely. I also fit it on my contrators saw with a wider slot, and it is also eliminates side to side play, and moves freely. The packaging states that is is adjustable in width from .730 to .785. It is 5/16" thick. Also specifcally refers to Shopsmith as one of the slots it will fit. As far as fittng Shopsmith, mine is set at the samllest setting. "Made in USA".

I will report accordingly when I make the cross cut sleds; and, I anticipate they will work great.
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Zeroplay Guide Bar System

Post by reible »

I purchased a set and from time to time they resurface. I really should make something with them.

If you like how they work then you would love the incra stuff that is designed for the shopsmith. Check this out:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... rav120.htm

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am curious how the adjusting screws control the 'width'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:I am curious how the adjusting screws control the 'width'.
The bar is two pieces with wedges in between. The screw slots are angled so when you slide the two bars in relation to each other the wedges change the width and then you lock everything in place with the screws. I don't have one but that is how I understand it from looking at the instructions. Interesting design.

http://go.rockler.com/tech/Micro_Jig_Ze ... ctions.pdf
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
The bar is two pieces with wedges in between. The screw slots are angled so when you slide the two bars in relation to each other the wedges change the width and then you lock everything in place with the screws. I don't have one but that is how I understand it from looking at the instructions. Interesting design.

http://go.rockler.com/tech/Micro_Jig_Ze ... ctions.pdf
Thank You! The drawing revealed the ledge the screw heads bear against to clamp the two halves in position.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Jsberger explained it well.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Ed, I did check out that Incra at Woodcraft last weekend, although that one was not for the SS. I was in fact impressed.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I picked up a pair of these Zeroplay miter bars new in original packaging off eBay and had unacceptable results. The package, as indicated earlier, specifically lists ShopSmith. Mine do not fit. One is snug in the SS miter track, the other doesn't fit in there at all. Both are set to their narrowest setting. They are advertised as adjusting from 0.730" width, and this lower dimension is pretty close to what is needed. Measurements on the worst of the two range from 0.732" to 0.741" narrower at both ends and wider near the middle. The other is both better and more consistent, ranging from 0.730" to 0.732".

I'd defer to the MEs on this, but there is something called implied accuracy. Not universally adhered to. IIRC something spec'd to the thou implies accuracy of within 5 ten-thousandths. These are made of two pieces of composite plastic held together with three small screws with wedge features to make the width variable. There's no visual evidence of machining. Neither of mine meet the implied accuracy. The price might seem consistent with this sort of accuracy, but I'm skeptical of the rest of it being that accurate. I don't doubt that some sets are better than mine and work well on the Mark.

Summary - I can't get anywhere near +/- 0.0005" with equipment I have, but I can get better results than this making miter bars in wood, aluminum, or some plastics on my Mark. I can probably fix these. These probably work fine in a standard track because you adjust them to the width required, which is well within their range.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I have to share the response I received form Microjig 'Customer Service' it is amusing even to me:

Hey David

You're correct about the Shopsmith miter slots. Some are a standard 0.75" and some, especially on earlier models, are a little more narrow. Our current ZeroPlay does have issues with the more narrow slots.

We have designed, and are close to releasing, a updated version of the ZeroPlay that addresses this issue. Not that it will help you at all... #Sigh... >:(

Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Have an Ordinary Day...
Kurtis ~|:-)

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When mine surface again I will have to try them out. In fact I think I remember trying them but never did make something using them, don't remember any issues but it was a long while ago.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]