Setting planer blades video

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dynabase
Gold Member

Setting planer blades video

Post by dynabase »

I watched the "Setting Planer Blades" video and Nick was using a magnetic base with the Shopsmith gauge. I have the gauge from Shopsmith but I would like to get the non Shopsmith magnetic base so I could have the same setup that Nick used. Any Ideas on how or where to get it? His setup looks like it might work better than the one from Shopsmith.
Sazerac81
Gold Member

Re: Setting planer blades video

Post by Sazerac81 »

dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. The whole kit is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Since I already have the dial part from Shopsmith I will probably go with the first one but I will think about it some more. The first one has the advantage of being more adjustable but the second one is exactly like the one shown in the video so it is designed for my intended purpose.

Have you ever used the first one and if so how would you rate it for the intended purpose? The advantage is if you already have the dial then it's half the price.
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

Thanks again John.

Once I knew what I was looking for via your post I found one exactly like the one Nick used for $14.99 on ebay. Most I saw had a 135 lb magnet but this one has a 176 lb. Dont think I will need that but it was something different.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131900066955?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Since I already had the gauge set from Shopsmith all I needed was the stand.

It didn't come with a fancy plastic box but I do pretend to be a woodworker so I guess I can fix that if I need to.

Cheers
Michael