Shorty tube cutting

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tdorey
Gold Member

Shorty tube cutting

Post by tdorey »

I want to cut off 12" of my tubes. I know most people disassemble the Ss to so this.

I was wondering if anyone has just put a jack lift type thing under the tubes and removed the left legs and cut the tubes while the headstock and right side is still assembled.

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work as long as I can get something under it to hold the machine up and level.

Thoughts?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shorty tube cutting

Post by JPG »

What are you using to cut them? If a pipe cutter, the tubes will interfere with each other. If a hacksaw(or anything else), securing the tube being cut can be an issue.

A complete breakdown may actually be the path of least resistance.

P.S. If you cut them with the base casting still attached, you have no good reference to the ends to determine where "12" inches is. Also you will end up with 4 flapping tubes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
oldiron
Gold Member

Post by oldiron »

JMO, A lot can go wrong with not taking things apart.Stay safe!!!!

Mike
tdorey
Gold Member

Post by tdorey »

I was going to use a Sawsall.

This is what I was thinking.
Attachments
sawspipes.jpg
sawspipes.jpg (331.18 KiB) Viewed 8003 times
tdorey
Gold Member

Post by tdorey »

I also understand the tubes are different lengths so I need to remove the same amount from each one, Not line it up like the images shows.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I sense that you are doing it the way you want, no matter what. However, I feel compelled to say - WRONG.

Dismantle, modify and reassemble.

Good Luck
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I sense that you are doing it the way you want, no matter what. However, I feel compelled to say - WRONG.

Dismantle, modify and reassemble.

Good Luck
+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tdorey
Gold Member

Post by tdorey »

I'm not 100% decided on this method, I just haven't really heard explanations why not too. Excepts "things can go wrong" and "its a bad idea". Just because it isn't they way you did it doesn't mean its worse.

Reasons not to disassemble,

Taking everything apart is a more detailed process, Everything would need to be re-calibrated and lined up.

Powerpro headstock is heavy, Sliding that thing off and then putting it on the ground, then picking it back up and sliding it back on those tubes is a back breaker.

Time, My method, shouldn't take long.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tdorey wrote:I'm not 100% decided on this method, I just haven't really heard explanations why not too. Excepts "things can go wrong" and "its a bad idea". Just because it isn't they way you did it doesn't mean its worse.

Reasons not to disassemble,

Taking everything apart is a more detailed process, Everything would need to be re-calibrated and lined up.

Powerpro headstock is heavy, Sliding that thing off and then putting it on the ground, then picking it back up and sliding it back on those tubes is a back breaker.

Time, My method, shouldn't take long.
Time will tell.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝