Arbors

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Arbors

Post by garys »

While looking through my Shopsmith drawer I found an extra 5/8" arbor that I'm not sure exactly what it is.
I have one of the Shopsmith 5/8" molder/dado arbors listed here and I know what that one is.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... oarbor.htm

The extra one is very similar, but a bit shorter, 1/8-1/4" less on the bolt end. It doesn't have the 3/4" thick washer that the molder/dado arbor has, and it lacks the groove in the bolt for the locking tongue washer. It has been with my Shopsmith for decades, but I don't remember what it is for. I have used it with my wobble dado, but it isn't quite long enough for my multi-blade dado when set to maximum width. Is it maybe just an earlier version of the molder/dado arbor?
jjj240
Gold Member

Re: Arbors

Post by jjj240 »

that arbor is for 3rd party saw blades with 5/8th arbor, which are more common.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jjj240 wrote:that arbor is for 3rd party saw blades with 5/8th arbor, which are more common.
Good and logical guess but how do we know that without having seen the arbor in question.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

jjj240 wrote:that arbor is for 3rd party saw blades with 5/8th arbor, which are more common.
If it was for saw blades, something is missing because there aren't enough threads on it to turn it down far enough to tighten on a saw blade. I can turn it down to about 3/8" until it runs out of threads, and up to abuot 3/4" until I run out of bolt. I would need some kind of spacer to tighten it on a standard saw blade.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Not for saw blades!!! For other 5/8 stuff like buffing wheels and wire wheels etc. Only put saw blades on saw blade arbors the others are not suited for saw blades and can be dangerous if used that way.
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:While looking through my Shopsmith drawer I found an extra 5/8" arbor that I'm not sure exactly what it is.
I have one of the Shopsmith 5/8" molder/dado arbors listed here and I know what that one is.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... oarbor.htm

The extra one is very similar, but a bit shorter, 1/8-1/4" less on the bolt end. It doesn't have the 3/4" thick washer that the molder/dado arbor has, and it lacks the groove in the bolt for the locking tongue washer. It has been with my Shopsmith for decades, but I don't remember what it is for. I have used it with my wobble dado, but it isn't quite long enough for my multi-blade dado when set to maximum width. Is it maybe just an earlier version of the molder/dado arbor?
You say it is a bit shorter. How long is it? The current molder/dado arbor shaft is 1 15/16" long. The thick washer is 5/8" thick. How wide can you set your multi blade dado? The max on the SS dado is 3/4" with the stock set.

First, I think you are just missing the thick washer. As for the key way. Does anyone know if the 10ER arbor had a key way. Looking at the 10ER accessory catalog that arbor is basically the same as the current arbor but the catalog says the thick washer is 3/4". Does anyone have a known 10ER arbor and does it have a key way. It is hard to tell from the picture in the catalog but using a magnifying glass it looks like it has a key way. However, the catalog is dated 1953, the end of 10ER production. Maybe the first/early arbor had no key way.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

jsburger wrote: First, I think you are just missing the thick washer. As for the key way. Does anyone know if the 10ER arbor had a key way. Looking at the 10ER accessory catalog that arbor is basically the same as the current arbor but the catalog says the thick washer is 3/4". Does anyone have a known 10ER arbor and does it have a key way. It is hard to tell from the picture in the catalog but using a magnifying glass it looks like it has a key way. However, the catalog is dated 1953, the end of 10ER production. Maybe the first/early arbor had no key way.
This is the arbor that came with my 10ER, it is what I use with my saw blade.
Total length 3 1/8, shaft length 1 5/8, keyed shaft and washer.
10erarbor.JPG
10erarbor.JPG (382.83 KiB) Viewed 19144 times
and with the blade mounted.
arborandblade.JPG
arborandblade.JPG (397.17 KiB) Viewed 19144 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rpd wrote:
jsburger wrote: First, I think you are just missing the thick washer. As for the key way. Does anyone know if the 10ER arbor had a key way. Looking at the 10ER accessory catalog that arbor is basically the same as the current arbor but the catalog says the thick washer is 3/4". Does anyone have a known 10ER arbor and does it have a key way. It is hard to tell from the picture in the catalog but using a magnifying glass it looks like it has a key way. However, the catalog is dated 1953, the end of 10ER production. Maybe the first/early arbor had no key way.
10erarbor.JPG
arborandblade.JPG
Interesting! The 1953 accessory catalog lists a 3/4" spacer and TWO 3/16" spacers. The two 3/16" spacers are clearly visible in the picture of the arbor.

To quote..."The collars, one 3/4" thick and two 3/16" thick, are machined and counterbored to assure clamping fit."

Quite obviously your arbor will not accommodate a second thin spacer. This tells me there are at least two different arbors for the 10ER. So again maybe the very first ones did not have a key way.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

jsburger wrote:
rpd wrote:
10erarbor.JPG
arborandblade.JPG
Interesting! The 1953 accessory catalog lists a 3/4" spacer and TWO 3/16" spacers. The two 3/16" spacers are clearly visible in the picture of the arbor.

To quote..."The collars, one 3/4" thick and two 3/16" thick, are machined and counterbored to assure clamping fit."

Quite obviously your arbor will not accommodate a second thin spacer. This tells me there are at least two different arbors for the 10ER. So again maybe the very first ones did not have a key way.
It would seem they changed the design a few times. I was just looking at the 10e preliminary manual and it describes the saw arbor as having two threaded washers.
preliminaryarbor.jpg
preliminaryarbor.jpg (85.07 KiB) Viewed 19125 times
The '52 catalog description is the same as in '53 that you quoted
The '54 catalog only shows arbors in the Mk5 section but under saw blades in the 10er section it says to use the 5/8 arbor , this is the first one that mentions the keyed washer, but the picture is the same as previous years.
arbor54catalog.jpg
arbor54catalog.jpg (112.67 KiB) Viewed 19125 times
Something to take into account is that they did not have separate saw and accessory arbors, so for saw blades you would use the 3/4 washer and one 3/16 washer, and for thicker accessories (wire/ buffing/ grinding wheels etc) you would use the two 3/16 only, one suspects that the unused one would get lost over the years.
Perhaps the keyed washer was included all along and just wasn't mentioned in the earlier catalogs,(they don't mention the nut either).
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Update. Since my last post I have acquired a third 10ER.

The arbor that came with this one does not have a slot or keyed washer, and its set screw takes a smaller allen key.

A side note, on this one both washers are steel, on the one with the slot the 3/4" washer is aluminum.
arbornoslot1.JPG
arbornoslot1.JPG (421.94 KiB) Viewed 19105 times
Also note previous owner had the blade mounted wrong. :eek: thin washer, thick washer (recess on the wrong side), blade, lock washer (not oem), nut.
arbornoslot2.JPG
arbornoslot2.JPG (353.85 KiB) Viewed 19105 times
Ron Dyck