DC3300 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have used Hefty trash bags when I found myself without a replacement. I don't recommend it.

The Shopsmith bags are a bit "heftier" and I believe it is necessary.

Believe me, you don't want to be carrying a full bag when it splits open. It happened to me ...... I had been cutting a lot of MDF for built in bookshelves in a home library and the bag was heavier than usual. What a mess.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
psargeant
Gold Member

Post by psargeant »

I know you can buy the heavy duty contractor bags in both 45 and 55 gallon sizes that appear to be of heavier plastic than even the Shopsmith ones but I have only seen them in black color. I do intend to try them when I run out of my proprietary Shopsmith supply.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

psargeant wrote:I know you can buy the heavy duty contractor bags in both 45 and 55 gallon sizes that appear to be of heavier plastic than even the Shopsmith ones but I have only seen them in black color. I do intend to try them when I run out of my proprietary Shopsmith supply.

Maybe you should try it out before you run out just in case.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

I solve almost all of the mentioned problems by having a 20 gal (?) RubberMaid tub sitting beneath the dust bag. Once bag is full, simply detach, tie/tape bag and carry away in study container with handles.

Oh, and the tub keeps the bag away from cats claws or anything else that would poke holes.

As for bags, I've found that the large aluminum can bags sold her in Iowa for recycling have the mil strength to handle a lot of sawdust. Plus, the are only fifty cents each....Fill them, then replace with a new one.

Doc
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Every time someone talks about using black trash bags I remember a friend who found himself out of clear plastic when winter came and he wanted to create an extra layer to insulate the windows of his mountain home. He used black plastic and didn't get back to his home for three months. When he arrived discovered several broken windows. It seems that black plastic combined with sunlight created an expansive pressure that broke the window paynes. Every time I consider using black plastic I remember that experience and stick with clear. I do like the fit and weight of the shopsmith bags. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Smart & Final sells clear trash bags that could be used as a substitute. I use these for storage. They are a fell ml's thinner than the SS bag, but would do in a pinch. As for me, just the thought of 20 gallons of sawdust getting loose when the bag rips is enough to justify the cost of the heavier bags. As for the 3300, I like it, and use it all the time. Keep making sawdust, but keep it confined. Gary
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Penn State sells 7mm 25 gal. (case of 15 $19.95) & 40 gal. (case of 10 $21.95) plastic DC bags...

http://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

If you have their latest catalog, look on page 82.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I'm still on my first bag after emptying it out for use as mulch around the berry bushes and other places the mower can't go. The bags seem to last forever. I'm stingy anymore when it comes to throwing plastic out, especially bags (guess I'm being more environmentally conscious).

BPR
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ryanbp01 wrote:guess I'm being more environmentally conscious.

BPR

My grandma used to save string and buttons - she called it frugal which I later learned is another word for cheap. I've learned to be frugal too; I dump my sawdust out amongst the cactus in my back yard desert.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

[quote="dusty"]My grandma used to save string and buttons - she called it frugal which I later learned is another word for cheap. I've learned to be frugal too]Like dusty, I will reuse my bags for as long as they hold up. I might try Doc's garbage can idea to help prolong the life of those bags. I have plenty of land to "spread the joy" around on, so I do knot have to worry about where to get rid of it. :D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.