DeWalt Power Drill DW972

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

DeWalt Power Drill DW972

Post by dusty »

I have a small 12v drill (a DeWalt972) that used to serve me well for small projects. Lately, a recharged battery will not give me more than about an hours worth of work. That is, it runs down in an hour whether I am using it heavy or not.

Does this sound like a battery issue, a drill issue or the charger.

The batteries are Ni-CD DC9071. I have thought about replacing the cells with NiMH cells. Has anyone done this successfully.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Re: DeWalt Power Drill DW972

Post by reible »

I have a 12V Milwaukee drill (Ni) that I just love but it is in need of a battery again. It charges but as many other older battery tools the charge doesn't last long and I don't believe the power output of the drill is like it use to be. I'm also down to just the one battery, I like to have two so I can keep going when one needs charging. I'm debating the new battery or two, or just letting go of the tool.

I had a large collection of 18V tools with the old Ni batteries and parted with the collection. Flashlight, two drills, circular saw, two chargers and two cases. I already had the replacements for everything but the circular saw by then anyway so I dropped them off at the restore and picked up a new circular saw that used the same Li batteries.

The new batteries are both lighter and more powerful and last longer so the decision on the all but the last drill has been made. I think you are now at the point.

It is almost certainly the battery. A deep power cycle might make it better for a while. There are no way Ni batteries are going to be around for drills and the like for much longer, that is an old technology. Even the replacement batteries I get are now third party.

Can you replace cells in a battery pack? Yes but the batteries are most likely ones with welded tabs. They may or may not be standard sizes so getting a fit and then hand soldering can be an issue. I saved my old 18v batteries for years thinking I would find the good ones left in each pack then make good packs out of bad. I finally just said the heck with it and recycled them. Well actually one got left behind so here is what you are likely to see inside:
IMG_4056sc.jpg
IMG_4056sc.jpg (238.5 KiB) Viewed 20576 times
Of course your might look different but still the same sort of arrangement. Could it be done, well yes, is it worth your time and the effort, not likely.

Best solution will be up to you. For me it was out with the old and in with the new.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

My Ryobi 18 volt drill did the same thing, one battery at a time. Now both NICADs are waiting to go to the recycle bin at Home depot of Lowes, whichever I remember to bring them to! They are at the point that they won't soak up any charge at all, let alone hold one. I replaced them with NiMH only because I bought a Ryobi leaf blower, and all Ryobi 18 volt batteries are interchangeable with each other. I now use that drill with the blower battery as a dedicated power sander for lathe projects. If I burn out the brushes it does not owe me a nickel (NiMH!). I don't apologize for the pun! :)
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Check your yellow pages for battery rebuilders. You can get them done by someone who is reliable. Replacing the NiCd with NiMH or lithium may be problematic because of charger rates of charge.
Bill V
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Dusty, I also have a DW-972 DeWalt drill. I bought it in 1998. I didn't remember that, the manual is still in its slot in the carry case and I wrote the purchase date on it. :) We try to always do that.
Mine has almost no working hours on it. I bought it and too many other things were happening then so it got sat back on a shelf most of the time. I might have used it two hours but even that was not steady use. After a couple of years of mostly sitting the batteries both quit charging. I tried the shock treatment thing but it didn't help much. I had not done my homework and had no idea just how costly the #$%& batteries were for the silly thing. As I recall back then a pair of new batteries was about $120. :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :(
After you posted this I started looking and found a pair of higher mAh batteries to fit it for $39.99 for both. (At least they are not $40... :D And with Prime, free shipping. I think I will give them a shot. It's not like I put a lot of miles on it before and I did like the drill itself. The listing is on this page:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ni-cd+9071
Since that time sometime after the turn of the century I bought a deal on a Ryobi 1/2" 18 volt with two batteries, charger and a nice 18 flashlight in a case for about $70. I liked it well enough that I bought a second one. I still use both the drills and the flashlights. Over the years I did replace a few batteries but I could replace them for about $20 each and they all lasted far better than those originals on the 12 volt DeWalt. I later added the circular saw and still use it now and then, usually away from the shop. Christmas 2015 my son Scott bought me a new set of Ryobi 18 volt drills, one a regular drill and the other an impact driver. They cam with a soft case, charger and they had the new Lithium +1 batteries. The thing I like about the Ryobi 18 volt stuff is that they make it all backward compatible. I can charge any of my 18 volt Ryobi batteries on the new smart charger. The old +1 batteries are still quite low cost but I can use the new batteries in my old drills.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I have the DeWalt 18 volt drill that I have replaced the batteries on a couple of times. Last time I found a pair of after market ones for about $25. I was thinking about getting rid of it before I found the cheap batteries. Next time I have to replace the batteries I will get the 20 volt adapter, some Lithium batteries and a new charger. I also got a deal on a PC 18 volt system with the drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, light and jig saw. The saws drain a battery fairly quickly while using them so do not use them often. I have not had to replace the batteries on it yet.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Dusty, there are four Batteries Plus in Tucson.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/store-locator
They do good work.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCnz9xSt6fc

Repair/Revive/Recondition cordless tool batteries
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Battery powered tools like all battery powered equipment will need the batteries replaced every few years. Before you put money into new batteries, really consider if the tool is worth it. New tools can be had at a reasonable price and it might be more cost effective to junk the old one and buy new.

All my battery powered tools went to the junkyard and I use only 120v tools now so I don't have to deal with the frustration of batteries any more.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Cordless tools are like Gillette Razors they give you the razor and sell you the blades.
I learned this hard lesson back on a Dewalt 9 volt I bought it with two batteries and charger for under $50. Worked terrific then the batteries started to die one battery was $69. Junked the drill. I then bought a makita combo, drill, recip Saw, cir saw, blower/vac, light, three batteries and charger. Bought it for $199. Replacement battery $90 to $119. Was going to junk it but found off brand batteries for $39 on Amazon.

Thinking of buying a Milwaukee 12 v setup, lighter easier for old man to control. Replacement batteries are $39. Might go Ridgid which has a service agreement to replace batteries for free. Might go crazy and start building a Festool shop. :D