My 520 started singing today.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: My 520 started singing today.

Post by reible »

Both holes are going to be undersized. I did drill mine out but we had a member get injured doing his. So do be careful.

Here is one of the early threads:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=131

My thread on drilling:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=4458

Another long post on the subject:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=1769

When all is said and done I found it easier to align after the drilling but it can be done with the smaller holes.

And more to the point we still don't understand why the blade is located where it is. We need to see some more pictures, the end of the quill without any thing mounted and the rubber tube on the way tube........

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

masonsailor2 wrote:I will put my money on the arbor being bent. You can check this fairly easy. Blade wobble will give you what you are describing. Mark a tooth on your blade with a magic marker. Then align the saw to the table using the marked tooth at both ends of the table insert. If you don't have a dial indicator you can use a combo square as a " feeler guage " which works very well. After the alignment is as close to perfect as you can get mark another tooth at 90 degrees to the first mark. Now check to see if there is any variance in the alignment using the second tooth. If the arbor is bent there will be a fair amount of variance between the two. Fortunately replacing a quill is very easy and quick.
Paul
I agree completely. My instinct is telling me arbor also. He probably got the wet wood bound and horsed it around and bent the arbor (because two blades do the same thing). Anyway, that is what my money is on! :cool:

JMHO :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Scared blade mounting surface on arbor!

Perhaps scarred is a more appropriate spelling. :D :o
Last edited by JPG on Fri May 05, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Your right JPG, I was having a brain fart.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:Your right JPG, I was having a brain fart.
OK as long as your head is not exploding. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:
ERLover wrote:Your right JPG, I was having a brain fart.
OK as long as your head is not exploding. :rolleyes:
I don't think so, but his cheeks may have puffed out. ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Has anyone thought to change the blade and arbor so see if the singing ceases? And then pull the quill and check!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BigSky wrote:Has anyone thought to change the blade and arbor so see if the singing ceases? And then pull the quill and check!
Back in the second post this thread was close!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

I changed the blade with a new blade and had the same song. I haven't pulled the quill yet but plan to do so after I fix my main table. To briefly refresh the post this issues was caused because my blade was almost rubbing the left side of the insert. I could not tilt the table unless I extended the quill. (skipping ahead and omitting details). The table alignment problem was caused by a manufacturing defect from Shopsmith. The main table rear trunnion was not drilled properly. I could drill it out myself but I decided to give Shopsmith a chance to make it good. I called them today and explained the problem. They said they would call me back on Monday with a resolution. I am not going to address any other Shopsmith issues until I get this one resolved.

To look on the bright side if Shopsmith had not installed a defective trunnion on this machine the original owner would have been happy with it and I would never have been able to get it virtually new for $300. He couldn't adjust the table or do bevel cuts either and didn't have the patience to resolve it under warranty. He just put it in storage until I came along. After I got it I put in storage until I retired. Now that it is being used every day all these issues are coming out. So far I'm still ahead of the game so I don't mind taking the time to resolve these issues the right way. I love this machine and I want it to be at peak performance. Once the table is fixed any properly aligner for the first time I will move on to the next issue. I have a gauge I got from Shopsmith that I can use once the table is back on to see if I have any deviation in blade that might be caused by a bent shaft in the quill.

Michael
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Advancing the quill for bevel cuts is not a defect, but part of the intended design. A compromise needed to be allowed so as to keep the blade slot reasonably narrow.

I think we might see something if we had pix of the setup as previously mentioned.(headstock/spacer/table tubes/carriage)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝