Newb diving in

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ek1050
Gold Member

Newb diving in

Post by Ek1050 »

Just bought an old 10ER with "all attachments" and additional jigsaw setup - I think I got a deal? Ha. I have no idea what I'm doing so I figured I'd start sanding and painting before I even know what goes where or if all is accounted for. I just loaded it all up, brought it home, and set all the acoutrimonts in the corner of the garage.
Haven't decided if I'll do the smaller footprint vertical storage or the standard horizontal bench. Though I'd see primary use as a lathe most likely.
I've heard there's lots of great info on these fantastic machines. I'm interested in any beginner info and finishing recommendations; paint types/brands - anything to avoid...
Mike
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Newb diving in

Post by Hobbyman2 »

IMO

I like the look of grey hammered enamel .

Have fun
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Far more than you imagined you needed to know.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... t3503.html
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ek1050
Gold Member

Post by Ek1050 »

Thanks, gents. Wow there's a lot of info out there. And I have some work ahead!
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Ek1050 wrote:Just bought an old 10ER with "all attachments" and additional jigsaw setup - I think I got a deal? Ha. I have no idea what I'm doing so I figured I'd start sanding and painting before I even know what goes where or if all is accounted for. I just loaded it all up, brought it home, and set all the acoutrimonts in the corner of the garage.
Haven't decided if I'll do the smaller footprint vertical storage or the standard horizontal bench. Though I'd see primary use as a lathe most likely.
I've heard there's lots of great info on these fantastic machines. I'm interested in any beginner info and finishing recommendations; paint types/brands - anything to avoid...
Mike
Hi Mike. Welcome aboard.

Congratulations on your acquisition, :) but then I am biased, I just bought my third 10er. ;)

We would love to see pictures of your prize. :cool: Did it come with a speed changer?

If you are wanting to use it as a lathe, (good choice) I would go with the standard bench, (more solid), and make the legs so that the spindle is at your elbow height, that will be the most comfortable for turning.

Here is a link to a book that tells how to use your 10er that you can download. https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8nssglpvm4jj ... e.pdf?dl=0

And here is a link to the manual for the jig saw. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2703
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Welcome Mike ! And welcome to the addiction !
Paul
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Welcome, and thanks for the rescue!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
Ek1050
Gold Member

Post by Ek1050 »

So the basics are restored and look alright. I used a lot of the info here to get her up and running and looking pretty again.
I am looking to do chess pieces. I want to mount the drill on the tailstock to drill a hole in the bottom to add weights later. This might seem like an easy answer but the search on this one wasn't too helpful.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ek1050 wrote:So the basics are restored and look alright. I used a lot of the info here to get her up and running and looking pretty again.
I am looking to do chess pieces. I want to mount the drill on the tailstock to drill a hole in the bottom to add weights later. This might seem like an easy answer but the search on this one wasn't too helpful.
Glad things are working out on your machine.

So what did you want to know about mounting the drill chuck to the tail stock and drilling?

In general you will need lathe arbor if you don't already have one. See here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... arbors.htm

You then mount the drill chuck to the arbor and then into the tail stock. The bit is mounted in the chuck and a center in the lathe to make sure the points align.

Once adjusted the work piece is mounted to the face plate or into the chuck and is advanced into the bit with the quill with the piece turning.

If you need more details let us know.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ek1050
Gold Member

Post by Ek1050 »

Ed I'm still confused on how to get the stem to fit in that tailstock hole.
It's 1 inch wide. Am I missing a fitting or a part somewhere?