Board's jointed edge uneven

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

greasemonkey2275
Gold Member

Re: Board's jointed edge uneven

Post by greasemonkey2275 »

JPG wrote:You are not keeping the just planed edge tight to the OUT feed table.(assumes the blade height coincides with the outfeed table height). Once there is sufficient 'new' surface to assure alignment to the outfeed table, NO downward pressure should be exerted towards the infeed table.

Also the tables need to be 'coplaner'. Raise the infeed table until it is the same height as the outfeed table. A straight edge should touch all points on both tables regardless of it's position. The blades should 'just touch' that straight edge at their highest point.

When a workpiece is initially held tight to the IN feed table, the freshly cut end of the workpiece should just barely clear the leading edge of the OUT feed table and not rise above the OUT feed table as the workpiece moves forward. Once downward pressure is being applied to the OUT feed end, the trailing edge may properly ride above the IN feed table. If the workpiece is then forced down tight to the IN feed table the rocking chair rocker bottom effect will take place. ;)
I zeroed out the tables, laid a straightedge across them and there is less than .010" between the blade and the straightedge at the blades closest point. I am going to try keeping pressure on the outfeed side and see if that works.
Jake

Spokane, WA
Shopsmith Mark V S/N: 354008 Born: 1958/Restored: 2015
Magna Bandsaw S/N: 31575 Born: 1956/Restored 2016
Magna Jointer S/N: 67527 Born: 1958/Restored: 2015
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

It looks to me that the problem might be technique. Your board is longer then the in feed table. If the board edge is concave to start the tail end of the board will rise as you feed it until the end is on the table. You may have to make more than one pass to get it straight.

The most important thing when jointing is proper hand pressure on the stock. Obviously when you start the pressure is on the in feed table. Once you get a couple of inches of stock on the out feed table you should switch hand pressure to the out feed table since that is now the reference surface. You should only push with your in feed hand.

I always joint the concave edge first because no matter how long the stock is you will always have two points in contact with the table. The convex side will only have one point of contact and can rock depending on hand pressure.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Dang, JPG, you beat me to it again. :D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If the workpiece is initially concave, it may help the trim both ends with a short pass.

BTW 0.010" low is excessive. That will cause the leading end to run into the end of the outfeed table and require lifting the workpiece to get it up onto the outfeed table. This alters the cutting direction slightly and creates a snipe on the leading end and directs the cut deeper into the trailing end.

I think it is time to raise the blades.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
greasemonkey2275
Gold Member

JPG wrote:If the workpiece is initially concave, it may help the trim both ends with a short pass.
The piece started out roughsawn and was fairly straight until I started jointing it and ended up with it being concave.
Jake

Spokane, WA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

greasemonkey2275 wrote:
JPG wrote:If the workpiece is initially concave, it may help the trim both ends with a short pass.
The piece started out roughsawn and was fairly straight until I started jointing it and ended up with it being concave.
Read the 'BTW' two posts back.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
greasemonkey2275
Gold Member

JPG wrote:
greasemonkey2275 wrote:
Read the 'BTW' two posts back.
I saw it and I'm getting ready to go make the adjustments.
Jake

Spokane, WA
greasemonkey2275
Gold Member

JPG wrote:BTW 0.010" low is excessive. That will cause the leading end to run into the end of the outfeed table and require lifting the workpiece to get it up onto the outfeed table. This alters the cutting direction slightly and creates a snipe on the leading end and directs the cut deeper into the trailing end.

I think it is time to raise the blades.
I just finished bringing the blades up to where they just barely moved my machinists square and planed the board again. The entire length is now true; chalk another one up to user error. Thanks boys!
Jake

Spokane, WA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

de nada
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝