PowerPro Nearly Dead Out Of Box?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro Nearly Dead Out Of Box?

Post by dusty »

ljayscott wrote:Calling again this morning seemed to work, somewhat. They took a note, then called back an hour later.

They've decided the control panel is bad and they are sending me a new one to replace it with... So I guess my plan of buying the PowerPro complete to avoid getting into the guts has failed.

Still, they say it'll come with a DVD to explain how to do it!

We shall see,

-- LJ
It is unfortunate that you have to do this BUT getting into the innards early and with Shopsmiths' blessing is not all bad. You will get to explore areas where no one has gone before. Take notes and pictures. Oh, do take pictures. Not necessarily to post but to have for future reference.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
EliWalton
Gold Member

Post by EliWalton »

ljayscott wrote:[...]
They've decided the control panel is bad and they are sending me a new one to replace it with... [...]

-- LJ
Perhaps when all the PowerPro computers start to fail after warranty period, and the manufacturer has moved on, they will offer a reeves-drive upgrade??

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

EliWalton wrote:
Perhaps when all the PowerPro computers start to fail after warranty period, and the manufacturer has moved on, they will offer a reeves-drive upgrade??

Perhaps if the powerpro becomes a bust the forum and the whole of shopsmith will be just history.....

Some of us want to see shopsmith do well and stay in business, some of us even purchased powerpro's for more then the amazing machine they are. I personally want my kids to enjoy my hand-me-downs when I can no longer use them and still be able to get parts. Maybe even a couple of grandchildren will say this use to be my grandpa, I'd like that.

I think most of us here feel that way so lets wait and see if these issues get resolved then we can all move on with our shopsmiths.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:
EliWalton wrote:

Perhaps if the powerpro becomes a bust the forum and the whole of shopsmith will be just history.....

Some of us want to see shopsmith do well and stay in business, some of us even purchased powerpro's for more then the amazing machine they are. I personally want my kids to enjoy my hand-me-downs when I can no longer use them and still be able to get parts. Maybe even a couple of grandchildren will say this use to be my grandpa, I'd like that.

I think most of us here feel that way so lets wait and see if these issues get resolved then we can all move on with our shopsmiths.

Ed
Right on point Ed!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

LJ I am glad they are resolving the issue for you. I also agree with Ed. As far as I can see SS is dealing with the issues. Has anyone had a problem with the PP that was not resolved ? One thing I came to grips with when I finally ordered one is that it is electronic and has a computer. It will never be as reliable as a MK5 headstock but really what is ? Damn things run literally forever. I guess I can think in terms of an old O'Keefe and Merritt stove versus a new electronic oven. As soon as electronics are introduced there are a whole new world of variables injected into the picture and not necessarily on the side of longevity. But the new features are very nice. Timers and self cleaning are very handy. The PP is very nice. The added power takes the SS to a whole new level. For turning it is nice to have reverse. The MK5 had reverse too in a way but you had to take your turning off the arbor and put it on the other end. Now I can just flick the switch. I like it very much. I am willing to let them work out the issues which they seem to be doing. But I will admit when I did the upgrade I kept all the old parts !
Paul
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

I have purchased my fair share of new equipment with problems right off the bat. My edge bander sat in my shop for over a month before I could use it while they tried to figure it out. Mini max had to send a guy out to replace one of the moters on my CU300. Saw Stop fired a cartridge no apparent reason one day when I hit the switch. All these are good companies that make good equipment but none acted as urgently as I would've liked in responce to my issues but in the end everything was taken care of. Mechanical things are prone to problems but most show up early on so at least we can have them repaired under warranty.

You will look back a little while down the road and not be disappointed in your purchase. :)

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I to would like to see SS around in a few years .

I cant imagine these circuit boards being cheap.

Hard to imagine they would want a customer to perform warranty work,
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
EliWalton
Gold Member

Post by EliWalton »

Hobbyman2 wrote:I to would like to see SS around in a few years .

YES! My dad had one of the first Mark V's back in the mid-50's and I started woodworking around it. I bought my current Mark V (500) in 1976. Of course, we all want Shopsmith to be around for our grandkids! But ownership changes, and we appear be seeing some degradation in customer service already...

Thankfully, there are many key parts for older machines available from private and third parties. As an example, the replacement/upgrade two-bearing quill is a very long lead item from SS, but readily available (better quality, BTW) from other sources.

IMHO, the SS PowerPro electronics is more at home in a throw-away, expendable appliance than a durable woodworking machine... Electronics in my refrigerator, stove and ice machine seem to fail after just a few years... Unlike the past, I think we will all need to become capable of finding parts and servicing our own Shopsmiths, especially the electronics, if we want them to be around for decades, as in the past... Just sayin'

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

EliWalton wrote:
Hobbyman2 wrote:I to would like to see SS around in a few years .

YES! My dad had one of the first Mark V's back in the mid-50's and I started woodworking around it. I bought my current Mark V (500) in 1976. Of course, we all want Shopsmith to be around for our grandkids! But ownership changes, and we appear be seeing some degradation in customer service already...

Thankfully, there are many key parts for older machines available from private and third parties. As an example, the replacement/upgrade two-bearing quill is a very long lead item from SS, but readily available (better quality, BTW) from other sources.

IMHO, the SS PowerPro electronics is more at home in a throw-away, expendable appliance than a durable woodworking machine... Electronics in my refrigerator, stove and ice machine seem to fail after just a few years... Unlike the past, I think we will all need to become capable of finding parts and servicing our own Shopsmiths, especially the electronics, if we want them to be around for decades, as in the past... Just sayin'

Ownership changes??? The Folkerth family has owned SS since 1971 when john bought the company which had been defunct since 1965. Almost all of the improvements in the SS MK V are a result of the Folkerth family.

Please tell us what KEY parts are available from private/third parties that are not original used parts manufactured by SS? Who makes a two bearing quill besides SS? The reason there are almost no after market parts for the SS is because the SS parts with proper care last almost for ever.

Why do you think all the SS clones failed? BTW, being cloned is the ultimate compliment. They failed because of inferior manufacturing quality and most importantly no customer support. SS excels in both those categories.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but if you think the Power Pro is in the class of throw away home electronics, my opinion is you are wrong. SS is not where it is today by selling junk. If you don't want a Power Pro then buy a MK V and stick with the Reevs drive. There is nothing wrong with it and you can still buy a new one and buy new parts.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Well said John! I read the "throw away" comment and thought, hmmm, I guess the 100s of 1000s Ford crew cab trucks that retail for north of $50,000 are throw away electronics, etc, etc? Really? I smile every time I turn my PowerPro on derive tremendous enjoyment using it....

Jack