Sawsmith 2000

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Dansmith
Gold Member

Sawsmith 2000

Post by Dansmith »

I just saw this add in craigslist (asking price of $650) for a Sawsmith 2000. I was impressed. I did not know that Shopsmith made a stand alone cabinet like table saw. Any of our forum members have one? Sure looks nice.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Sawsmith 2000

Post by everettdavis »

Dansmith wrote:I just saw this add in craigslist (asking price of $650) for a Sawsmith 2000. I was impressed. I did not know that Shopsmith made a stand alone cabinet like table saw. Any of our forum members have one? Sure looks nice.
There are several versions of that 2000, depending on the table. There are virtually no parts available, and one key part tends to break. The motor is a unique piece, and I have not found a re-builder for them yet. It doesn't mean they aren't out there, I just haven't found them.

I did get a fairly decent copy of the Sawsmith 2000 manual (reproduction) from Shopsmith that was left over from documents that one of the previous companies named "Shopsmith" left.

I too almost bought one about a year ago, with the Ultra Table for $400. It was bought new, and used about 10 hours. Based on what I found, I still passed. I am not building a Shopsmith museum like collection.

I am not saying buyer beware, I am just saying buyer be aware. Search out some reviews of the machine when it was being produced. The plastic tilt lock is prone to break and not available. With 3D Printing and newer casting technologies, someone may make a reproduction of the tilt lock. Again, I have not found them either.

The unit is difficult to keep aligned, and if you notice the picture for the blade insert track, you will note it is really long.

Why? That is because it works somewhat like an upside down radial arm saw, and yes Shopsmith further back in the day made a radial arm saw as well.

Everett
Models of Sawsmith 2000.jpg
Models of Sawsmith 2000.jpg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 32346 times
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Thanks, Everett.
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

I am the second owner of a SS2000, I'm pretty happy with it. But, as Everett said, you must be aware you are buying an unsupported SS oddity.
Mine had very light use when I purchased it and I've continued that. I use it mostly with the blade locked and only use the slider when it makes the cut easier. I haven't had any alignment problems or breakdowns. They have an open motor with just okay dust collection. So cleaning is a priority.
I bought mine purely because I liked the design when it was new, but felt it was overpriced for what it was at that time. It was a hobby/contractor saw, priced like a full cabinet saw when new.
As for your saw's price, $650 seems fairly steep for a SS2000. For that, I would expect a near mint, top of the line model with the upgraded fence and a full set of table inserts,Dado etc. If you're a SS Junkie like me, it may be money well spent,they don't come up for sale that often.
At that price point you can pick up a really nice contractor's saw and very likely a full on cabinet saw. Hope this helps. Enjoy the saw!
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

I don't have any interest in purchasing a Sawsmith 2000. I was just curious about it, and thought if someone was interested, I could provide them a link.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Interestingly, I have never heard of a Sawsmith 2000, until today, and low and behold, another one just popped up on craigslist in the same city as the other one. The asking price on this one is $225.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Dansmith wrote:Interestingly, I have never heard of a Sawsmith 2000, until today, and low and behold, another one just popped up on craigslist in the same city as the other one. The asking price on this one is $225.
If it works OK, and you can afford it, get it!

That "pull through" function intrigues me.

I also want a copy of the Shopsmith RAS.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
henecle
Gold Member

Post by henecle »

I have one, the Ultra model. $225 is about the right price... SS has no parts, I picked up a spare motor a few years back off eBay and I watch for a occasional part to come up mainly when the seller does know what they have. You can dial it in but you have to keep an eye on it. It's just another part of the "collection".
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Nice collection, Leif.
REWilson1
Bronze Member

Post by REWilson1 »

I am looking for the tables, plastic locks, motor,and legs for these.
If you find some please contact errittwilson@gmail.com

I love my ultra Sawsmith 2k and want to keep it running