Jointer fence doesn't lock in place

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dafixer
Gold Member

Jointer fence doesn't lock in place

Post by dafixer »

I've recently bought a used SS jointer. I took the fence off the mounting bar to thoroughly clean the table. But, when I put the the fence back on the mounting bar, I couldn't get it to lock in place. The angle of the fence will lock when I tighten down the handle but, the fence doesn't lock on the mounting bar even though the handle is tightened down to hold the fence angle. Is there a piece or part that I may have misplaced?
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Jointer fence doesn't lock in place

Post by ERLover »

The tightening lever is double acting, I believe you push it in to tight/loosen the fence on the bar, and pull it away to tighten or loosen the fence to change the angle. Or totally vice a versa.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
dafixer
Gold Member

Post by dafixer »

I found out the problem. I wasn't pulling the dual purpose handle out far enough to engage the locking of the fence on the mounting bar. Duh...what a senior moment!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:The tightening lever is double acting, I believe you push it in to tight/loosen the fence on the bar, and pull it away to tighten or loosen the fence to change the angle. Or totally vice a versa.
Vice versa!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Thanks John Paul Getty for the correction, non here at moms to check which way it was.
Dafixer there is also a pin that can be inserted to go back to 90*, so if you get to a situation that the fence angle does not want to go/move, dont force it, look for the pin and I think pull it out. I will get corrected on that but thats OK, since I cant check one at the moment and dont use one regularly.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:Thanks John Paul Getty for the correction, non here at moms to check which way it was.
Dafixer there is also a pin that can be inserted to go back to 90*, so if you get to a situation that the fence angle does not want to go/move, dont force it, look for the pin and I think pull it out. I will get corrected on that but thats OK, since I cant check one at the moment and dont use one regularly.
No 'pin', but a small headless screw and a flip plate stop.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dafixer
Gold Member

Post by dafixer »

Yep, found the "flip" plate too.
Thanks guys for your help and instructions.
davidgifford
Bronze Member

Post by davidgifford »

Thanks for the tip of the double acting handle on the joiner. Took a lot longer to register with Shopsmith than it did to find out how to lock the fence.Very helpful.
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

the hollow tube should have a dowel in it. When you tighten the screw it contacts the bar and holds it. Do not over tighten as it will strip the threads out and want work at all. Think it is 3/16 dia by 3/4 0r 7/8 long. Easy fix. Use a dowel or a bolt with head removed.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The back side that grips the bar is fairly soft(cast aluminum) and excessive tightening will deform it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝