SHOP SMITH TABLE IDENTIFICATION

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: SHOP SMITH TABLE IDENTIFICATION

Post by reible »

everettdavis wrote:Did a little digging and found more, but do not know when it was introduced, or officially discontinued. Early M5's Mark 5's didn't have it. Later Mark V 500's didn't have it. Some did. The 1960's Mark VII did.

Support indicated that engineering felt it weakened the table and it was phased out, but before the current owners owned Shopsmith.

Not much help on establishing a date though.

Everett
M5 Greenie Owners Manual.png
You will never find it where the red "circle" is. It is on the other side of the table next to the head stock, ie on the left side.

I can also add that my machine from the factory new in 1976 had the two slots. I have a couple of machines from the late 1970's and early 1980's that do not have the slot but then the tables could have been swapped out since I got them used. The casting on them still have the place for the slot.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Right you are Ed!

I didn't realize the vantage point was backwards in the photo I selected to illustrate that from the M5 Manual.

I edited it and re-posted below with different photo.

JPG and Ed have now spotted post errors I made, in the same thread no less!

Thank you Ed and JPG!

Everett
M5 Greenie Owners Manual with Table.png
M5 Greenie Owners Manual with Table.png (675.7 KiB) Viewed 20183 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So, to summarize it in one place, the 'extra' BLADE slot was there in later Greenies, Goldies(Brownies), Magna American Graylings, Mark VII and early SS Inc. Mark 5's.

Fortunately the 505 - 520 tables and rails eliminated the need for it.
Last edited by JPG on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well this one from a greenie did not have it - sn upper right. (=1954)
greenie table no slot.jpg
greenie table no slot.jpg (206.64 KiB) Viewed 20144 times
Last edited by JPG on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

I as pertaining to the two slots that look like wide slots for saw blade or sander operation NOT the miter slots. Did I miss something in your information? Thanks for the follow up.
Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

woodmeister wrote:I as pertaining to the two slots that look like wide slots for saw blade or sander operation NOT the miter slots. Did I miss something in your information? Thanks for the follow up.
Tom
Blade slot. I added that detail to the previous post.

There is no slot for the sanding disk on a Mark 5.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I purchased my Greenie from the original owner in 1983 and was told it was 1955 vintage. It had only one slot.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

54 - 55 closing in!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

James,

I realize it is an old thread, but I finally have some answers as to why a 2nd slot was there, and a date it was defined in a patent application. I believe they began producing it before they filed for patent application for it.

I will be posting the Patent Application later with some others that I have located since posting quite a few last week.

Everett
Reason for Second Slot in Tables beginning 1958 era.png
Reason for Second Slot in Tables beginning 1958 era.png (324.31 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

My greenie is Mar 55, (SN# 291904) and has the single slot. Any "newer" 55's out there that can chime in?