Spring Clip - how to install

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Silver Member

Spring Clip - how to install

Post by 6060 »

Hello,

I just got a new to me 1956 Greenie. The spring clip needs to be connected. without taking all the parts out, how do I easily clip it back in? Is there a trick to this?

Thanks!
Mike
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Spring Clip - how to install

Post by wa2crk »

You just have to reach in and put it back on. I have an old screwdriver with a bent tip that I used to use to adjust drum brakes and that works OK. Most times just a medium sized straight srewdriver will do
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Assuming you are referring to the spring clip that slips over the end of the 'porkchop'.

Adjust the control to 'FAST'. Then the clip should easily slip onto the porkchop while holding the flat spring tight against the back of the porkchop.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

Thanks I got it back on. I was hoping that would do the trick. I have checked the motor and it runs, the switch works, I walked the control to slow and all the parts now seem to be free. However I am still getting just a buzzing noise when i try and turn it on when everything is all hooked up.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK, so tell us about the buzz.

A 56 greenie likely has a GE motor with a start relay. So is the buzz relay chatter?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

No the buzz is where the engine wants turn but the shaft, but does not/cannot. I unhooked the engine and it turns on a runs well. The engine and starter are good. Next step? And thanks!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Can you manually rotate the quill shaft?

Could the buzz be described as a hum?

If so the start relay or start switch is not closing so the start circuit is energized.

DO NOT TRY REPEATEDLY AS IT CAN OVER HEAT THE MOTOR.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

WHEN was the last time ya lubed it?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

Yes I can manually turn the quill shaft. And yes a hum is a better description. So if the engine is unhooked from machine, it will start, what do I need to do? How do I make the start switch to close the circuit?

Thanks!
Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

Just recently, but it has been sitting for some time I expect. The owner passed away,so not sure as to when before I did it. It looks to be in good shape, and taken care of. All parts turn.