How to Resolve a RPS State Error 0

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

c2h6o
Gold Member

How to Resolve a RPS State Error 0

Post by c2h6o »

I just replaced a faulty Power Supply of a Mark 5/Power Pro. I am know getting the RPS State Error 0. I have read the manual and gone through all the posts on this forum. I haven't seen discussion on how to resolve this other then sending back to Shopsmith. Does anyone have any experience on fixing this issue?
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: How to Resolve a RPS State Error 0

Post by dusty »

c2h6o wrote:I just replaced a faulty Power Supply of a Mark 5/Power Pro. I am know getting the RPS State Error 0. I have read the manual and gone through all the posts on this forum. I haven't seen discussion on how to resolve this other then sending back to Shopsmith. Does anyone have any experience on fixing this issue?
Your best approach would be an assertive call to Shopsmith Customer Service (937-890-5197). Stay on the line until they either hangup on you or they answer your inquiry.

In my opinion, a written inquiry will be futile. I currently have sent three PMs to customer service for which I have received no response.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

Very frustrating--There is really no TS directly available.

Here is the response I got from SS based on my call in....my question is does the SS motor need to be fully attached to the headstock with the bottom cover plate on for the system to work correctly? I have the motor connected but sitting just way from the head stock housing (SS in drill press configuration) to confirm that everything is working before final assembly. Given IR sensors are integral to the operability of the SS, I am wondering if my problem is the set up I have right now.

This RPS Error has got to be in the speed sensor.

•The speed sensor is located under the black plastic cowling on the motor.
•It could also be caused by a break in the wire or plug going from the speed sensor in the motor to the power supply.
•Ask him to look closely at these areas.
•If he does not see a break in the wires then replace the speed sensor.
•The procedure for removing the cowling and replacing the speed sensor is on WIKI.
•If he sees a break in the wire from the power supply to the plug going to the speed sensor, then replace the power supply again
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Really. This is the response you got from Customer Service.

This RPS Error has got to be in the speed sensor.

•The speed sensor is located under the black plastic cowling on the motor.
•It could also be caused by a break in the wire or plug going from the speed sensor in the motor to the power supply.
•Ask him to look closely at these areas.
•If he does not see a break in the wires then replace the speed sensor.
•The procedure for removing the cowling and replacing the speed sensor is on WIKI.
•If he sees a break in the wire from the power supply to the plug going to the speed sensor, then replace the power supply again.

Surely there was more.

You did receive a document that details the procedure for removal and replacement of the speed sensor. Surely you did.

I assume the reference to WIKI means WIKI.com. I searched there, though I am not very good at this sort of detective work, and did not find a Shopsmith procedure.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

This is all I got--verbatim (cut and paste). I am looking at Wiki now.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Wondering if you got an email meant for the tech guy. ( to talk to you about)
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Wondering if you got an email meant for the tech guy. ( to talk to you about)
If that be the case, I would say that the 'tech guy' is a bit slow with his response.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IF that be the case, the tech guy likely has yet to receive it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

JPG wrote:IF that be the case, the tech guy likely has yet to receive it.
Kinda what I was implying... :)
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Either way, from a customer perspective, the tech guy is slow with his response.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty