Robert Sorby Precision Chuck

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hoagie
Gold Member

Robert Sorby Precision Chuck

Post by hoagie »

Can any of you offer an opinion on the Robert Sorby Precision Chuck? I have the opportunity to pick one up for about $120. It has all the parts except the elastic bands for the collets.
Although new to the SS, I am very interested in getting into turning. I know this chuck is no longer being made or sold. Is this a quality chuck? Are there alternatives that would be a better choice, even if a bit more money? Or am I just getting way ahead of myself looking at an advanced chuck system?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Brian
Hoagie - B.P.O.E. - NRA Benefactor
Mark V 520, Band Saw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander, Biscuit Joiner, RingMaster
Delta Dust Collector, Jet AFS
All generalizations are dangerous. Even this one.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Brian,
I don't think I would want to buy a "discontinued" model of anything. Think "replacement parts". Instead why don't you check out the chucks offered by Shopsmith? You are in luck... They are on sale until Oct. 31!!! I have the Nova and it is an excellent chuck.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... hePromo06/
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

curiousgeorge wrote:Brian,
I don't think I would want to buy a "discontinued" model of anything. Think "replacement parts". Instead why don't you check out the chucks offered by Shopsmith? You are in luck... They are on sale until Oct. 31!!! I have the Nova and it is an excellent chuck.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... hePromo06/

The other problem might be HOW are you going to attach it to a SS? I think that chuck threads onto a lathe and the TPI of that chuck may not match the SS adapter.
Last edited by beeg on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

hoagie wrote: Or am I just getting way ahead of myself looking at an advanced chuck system?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Brian

Don't think your getting way head of yourself. It would give you flexibility of not having to always use between centers or a face plate.
Last edited by beeg on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

beeg wrote:The other problem might be HOW are you going to attach it to a SS? I think that chuck threads onto a lathe and the TPI of that chuck may not match the SS adapter.
Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-L5818-Headstock-Shopsmith/dp/B000KIEC88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1225403813&sr=8-2
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

As long as it matches the chuck he's looking at. That chuck might be a inch and a quarter .
Last edited by beeg on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bob
hoagie
Gold Member

Probably Going to Pass it Up

Post by hoagie »

CG summed up my biggest concern: This chuck has been discontinued by Robert Sorby. They have a great reputation, but in doing a search for any information I ran across a thread where someone had contacted them for the owners manual and RS could not help them. No archive material on it. Told him to try a few of the 'former' dealers.

This particular chuck (according to the seller) was designed to be used with the SS.

The attraction was as Beeg stated, the flexibility for various configurations. Still, I can probably put the money towards some other accessory until I actually become more proficient on the lathe. Still just destroying scrap wood and making wood chips at this point.

Thanks.
Hoagie - B.P.O.E. - NRA Benefactor
Mark V 520, Band Saw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander, Biscuit Joiner, RingMaster
Delta Dust Collector, Jet AFS
All generalizations are dangerous. Even this one.
brunutt
Silver Member

Post by brunutt »

I'm the one with the Sorby chuck on ebay thats being referred to. as far as a manual i contacted Sorby's in England and they gladly photo-copied the manual and mailed to me at no cost to me. The chuck comes drilled to fit a ss, it was with one i bought several months ago. i don't need it myself as i'm using face plates to turn segmented bowls with. As per Malcom Tibbets book.

Bruce
wgander
Gold Member

Re: Robert Sorby Precision Chuck

Post by wgander »

I've never used the Sorby Precision Chuck I bought in 1989.
I may finally try doing some lathe work and it looks clumsy to set up and the instructions aren't very clear.
Shopsmith now has the Nova G3 on sale. Is it just a better version of my old Sorby?
Is it any better than what Sorby now sells?