Shopsmith Grinding Wheel Guard?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Dansmith
Gold Member

Shopsmith Grinding Wheel Guard?

Post by Dansmith »

Couple of questions on this Grinder: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... lguard.htm

Anyone have one, and if so how do you like it? I am looking to use it mainly for grinding lathe chisels.

Will it attach to the right hand side of a Power Station? I couldn't find any mention of it attaching to the Power Station in the link; but, I have a SS catalog from 1999 that says the "Grinding Wheel Guard II" (emphasis added) (same part # 555470) will attach to the Power Station spindle.

Come to think of it, I searched the SS site and did not find the Power Station (maybe my search skills aren't so good). Do they even still make the Power Station? If not, maybe that is why it does not reference it.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Grinding Wheel Guard?

Post by masonsailor2 »

I don't think they make the power station any more. They come up on CL every so often. I have the grinding wheel guard but I would not use it to sharpen turning chisels. The results will not be very good. The belt sander makes a much better sharpening tool. It is what I use and the results are excellent. The sanding disc would also be better than the grinding wheels but like the grinding wheel it also produces a lot of heat during the sharpening process. The water cooled grinding systems out there are great but for the most part very expensive and IMHO the belt sander gives as good an edge. A good idea is to keep an eye on CL and pick up a used SS that has the belt sander and either have two SS's or make one a shorty if space is an issue. Hope all this helps.
Paul
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Thanks, Paul. I was thinking that due to the variable speed, it would have made a good lathe chisel sander with a Norton AO wheel. I am currently using the SS Strip Sander attached to my Power Station for lathe chisels.

No more room for power tools. I just recently obtained 2 10er's, one of which I have turned into a dedicated drill press (shortened the stand) and the other a dedicated lathe. I do have a Mark V as well. But, I do have room for a SS Belt Sander. :D
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Dansmith wrote:Couple of questions on this Grinder: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... lguard.htm
Anyone have one, and if so how do you like it? I am looking to use it mainly for grinding lathe chisels.
I have one, and used it primarily for sharpening lawnmower blades, until I inherited a small bench grinder. It was OK for what I did with it, which was not any fine sharpening. Installing with grinding wheel was a bit of a hassle, and I found it easiest to keep grinding wheel "captive" inside of the guard, and install and remove both the wheel and the guard at one time. There is room to access the grinding wheel set screw thru the top of the guard. The wheels are also a little on the small size, compared to standard bench grinders. And as with any metal abrading operation on a Shopsmith, you have to protect the way and bench tubes from metal filings.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Thanks, br549.