How long is too long? MarkVII

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

LanternMan
Bronze Member

How long is too long? MarkVII

Post by LanternMan »

One of my friends gave me his Mark VII so my wife can make some wood projects. He cautioned me about oiling the machine regularly, and not to leave it running too long.
I have read some previous posts about the cam melting and I'm scared to death of breaking or melting the cam on this machine. I have cleaned and oiled it and it seems to be working as designed.
My question is can it run for 30 min? 10 min. ? or and hour? how about using the lathe function it could run for quite a bit during a turning operation.
Attachments
Here is a quick picture of the machine.
Here is a quick picture of the machine.
DSC_6872.JPG (67.01 KiB) Viewed 14867 times
John in Diamond Bar,

Mark VII,
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: How long is too long? MarkVII

Post by JPG »

This is my 'opinion', so take it for what it is worth.

I think that with adequate lubrication, the inner race and 'fork' will not get sufficiently hot to melt the cam.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG wrote:This is my 'opinion', so take it for what it is worth.

I think that with adequate lubrication, the inner race and 'fork' will not get sufficiently hot to melt the cam.

A couple of times now I have tipped my old Mark VII up to the left and put a small pool of oil in on the tiny bearing and left it sitting that way a day or two and the oil goes down some. It is staying quiet. I have also ran the unit at slow speed a minute while tipped up and the oil standing there.
I think we discussed doing that some time back?
I have not really been using it much at all but I want to keep it lubed there. It is supposed to be my semi-dedicated dado machine but I'm not getting in a lot of shop time now. :rolleyes: Maybe more this winter.
I do have a spare cam but hope I never need it... :rolleyes:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Bill Mayo recommended generous oiling of the control sheave(in fast position), raising to drill press and letting the oil seep into the bearing. I think that a good idea for the VII as well.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
LanternMan
Bronze Member

Post by LanternMan »

Thank you for the replies, We have been getting familiar with the machine. and what it does. Now we need to decide what to build! I have discovered that the next thing I buy will be dust masks.

I Like the idea of tilting it to let the oil seep into the bearings.
John in Diamond Bar,

Mark VII,
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

i agree with JPG. i don't think it can get hot enough inside the headstock to melt the cam UNLESS the bearing DOES seize up and overheat. nylon doesn't melt until at least 440deg. f.
having said that, does anyone have a good procedure for replacing the cam follower bearing when needed. i've read some horror story in a past thread about breaking the cam follower trying to remove the bearing. i wouldn't want to break an irreplaceable part.
sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer