bandsaw guide block

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: bandsaw guide block

Post by jsburger »

dynabase wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:I like 'blocks' made from lignum vitae.
Yeh, but where can one get Lignum Vitae these days. :)
You can get it on eBay. I got curious and looked it up. Tons of it on eBay.

Michael
90+% of what I saw on eBay was things made from Lignum Vitae not the wood itself that could be used to make something.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

To answer the 'where' question, I got some 'blocks' on e-bay from a seller that made them from salvaged wood.

I have also obtained some stopper blanks of a close relative to LV from South America.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

jjj240

I prefer the Cool Blocks but if you do continue to use the steel blocks I would set them a bit further back from the tooth tip than they appear to be in the photo. They should be just behind the gullet of the tooth. The position in the pic may affect the set of the tooth which may cause excessive blade drift.
Bill V
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

"The wood is obtained chiefly from Guaiacum officinale and Guaiacum sanctum, both small, slow growing trees. All species of the genus Guaiacum are now listed in Appendix II of CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I would bet the heart wood of a 2 inch dia. or larger,,, piece of lilac would work.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote:I would bet the heart wood of a 2 inch dia. or larger,,, piece of lilac would work.
Self lubricating?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Bozara
Bronze Member

Post by Bozara »

In my opinion there is nothing that compares with ceramic guides and thrust bearings. Google "ceramic bandsaw Guideblocks" and you should be able to find the company that makes them...I can't remember the name, but I ordered from them several years ago and still going strong (my blades last longer too.)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Bozara wrote:In my opinion there is nothing that compares with ceramic guides and thrust bearings. Google "ceramic bandsaw Guideblocks" and you should be able to find the company that makes them...I can't remember the name, but I ordered from them several years ago and still going strong (my blades last longer too.)
I am sure they are great but the Carter Shopsmith roller bearing guides (like the larger band saws have) are the ultimate. I would not trade mine for anything else.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Would Bocote be self lubricating? It seems very oily when I drill it for pen blanks. But it may be too soft for this application.
Bill V