Hexagon Box

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

br549
Platinum Member

Re: Hexagon Box

Post by br549 »

While I'm not exactly sure how a JointMatic works, it sounds like you plan to use finger or box joints rather than relying on end grain for gluing.

Shopsmith has tips for making a jig for making finger or box joints on the table saw using a dado blade. This link covers many types of joints ... scroll down for Finger Joints.

http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/tblsaw ... /index.htm

Attached is a rough sketch of how I would modify the jig shown for 90 degree angle corners to be able to make 60 degree angle corners.
Attachments
60 degree box joint jig.jpg
60 degree box joint jig.jpg (200.52 KiB) Viewed 8044 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Excellent sketching!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

lalkie01 wrote:If anyone has this piece I would be interested in purchasing it Any help would be appreciated. Thank Larry
May have a lead for you in a CL ad ... check your PMs.

P.S. Where are you located? If you add your location to your User Profile, others may be able to help you look too.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

After doing a little more searching and researching into what and how a Joint-Matic works, I found this picture that may be of interest. It appears that by using this method you don't need the Bevel Miter Gauge, just a regular miter gauge which you could adjust to your required angle. And with the Joint-Matic's ability to precisely control height adjustment and therefore the spacing of the joints, would this not work?
Attachments
Box Joints on Joint-Matic.jpg
Box Joints on Joint-Matic.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
lalkie01
Gold Member

Post by lalkie01 »

I haven't tried yet but I think I could set my miter gauge at 30 degrees on the joint matic and I should be able to a pretty accurate cut. I will also try cutting at 90 degrees to see what it produces. I appreciate the responses. A hex box with finger or dado joints would look nice. Larry
lalkie01
Gold Member

Post by lalkie01 »

The box will be about 3 inches deep 6 inches wide. I expect to use oak. I have sent a message to the person in Richmond about his joint matic. Still waiting for a response. Thanks Again