Shop cabinets - drawers vs doors/shelves

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jms
Gold Member

Re: Shop cabinets - drawers vs doors/shelves

Post by jms »

Thanks Bill -- I've never really used MDF and from what I read it seems like it's not something I really want in my shop or around my tools - appreciate your tip !!

So -- here is where I'm at so far. I've built a few face frame free-standing cabinets for the wife and I generally like their classic appearance. I think I'm going to go for face frame with inset drawers and doors -- I realize this will be more work than overlay style drawers and doors, but as you all have pointed out it's my cabinets and should suit my taste :-) (this style will also match our interior custom cabinets, not that it really matters).

So, after a long evening on Sketchup last night this is what I've come up with. Quick note that these are all 36" wide and 22 1/4" deep. When I add the 3/4" face frame and 1" overhang from the bench top I will have 24" depth from the wall. Carcass is all designed from 3/4" birch plywood (big box store stuff, not baltic), and face frames are soft maple which I happen to have in the shop.

Model #1 - Lower Base Cabinet -- note the dado for the bottom panel and the rabbet for the back panel. Those design elements I picked up from a cabinet-making article I read in Wood Magazine. I intend to use a combination of glue and pocket screws.

Model #2 - Here is the Lower Base Cabinet, with a basic face frame added -- this could be used with a single drawer up top and open space below. It is also the basis for the next 2 models.

Model #3 - Here is the Lower Base Cabinet and the basic face frame with added stiles for double drawers and double doors

Model #4 - Here is the Lower Base Cabinet and the basic face frame with added rails for 2 additional deeper drawers
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I agree with Ben on the use of cabinets. One source, if you have one, is a Habitat for Humanity "ReStore". I have found many types of bargains there. I am a big fan of upcycling/recycling. It also helps them with their mission of homebuilding. You may also find some wood bargains there as well.
BPR
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I gave this a lot of thought in my shop. After building the "perfect"mix of doors and drawers, I have found the mix is not perfect. Hmmmm!

Really, all that's really needed is a bigger shop and more wall space. :( ;) and more of both!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dstensland
Gold Member

Post by dstensland »

Thought I'd share some of my efforts with you all in case they are helpful or make you think of something better.

The bench below started as a repurposed metal shelving unit. It was an experiment but I decided to keep it. The table top is a solid core door split in two. The metal frames were clad with 1/2" plywood for the doors and sides to reduce the visual clutter of having things exposed on the shelves. I still need to add rear panels on the left side.
Sawsmith_bench.jpg
Sawsmith_bench.jpg (187.38 KiB) Viewed 19913 times
For more storage space, I made new Sawsmith drawers with 1/2" plywood. They slide very well with the help of paste wax. It's nice having the RAS accessories right there where you need them.
Sawsmith_drawers.jpg
Sawsmith_drawers.jpg (198.88 KiB) Viewed 19913 times
I adapted the drawer design into my main workbench. Again, I opted to use left over shelving steel instead of traditional drawer slides. Prior to this, the area beneath the workbench was open and prone to clutter. Now I can store things like tape or glue well within reach.
workbench_drawers.jpg
workbench_drawers.jpg (294.08 KiB) Viewed 19913 times
This is my attempt at a multi-purpose wall unit. It helps organize and store small parts in removable drawers, provide additional cabinet space for other junk, and provide whiteboard space to use as needed. It's a lot of utility in a small space.
wall_cabinet_closed.jpg
wall_cabinet_closed.jpg (117.65 KiB) Viewed 19913 times
wall_cabinet_open.jpg
wall_cabinet_open.jpg (155.9 KiB) Viewed 19913 times
The inset cabinet doors below were replaced in favor of the whiteboard doors.
wall_cabinet_drawers.jpg
wall_cabinet_drawers.jpg (185.75 KiB) Viewed 19913 times
wall_cabinet_drawer.jpg
wall_cabinet_drawer.jpg (212.22 KiB) Viewed 19913 times
oldiron
Gold Member

Post by oldiron »

Very nice!

Mike
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Dstensland, that is fabulous! A lot of work, but I'll bet it was well worth it.

Nice Job!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
dstensland
Gold Member

Post by dstensland »

Thanks guys. The wall cabinet did take some time but that's part of the fun, right? It was built using my Shopsmith 510, Sawsmith, and a small homemade CNC machine which was also made with my Shopsmith.

The payback happens every time I can quickly locate an item stored in the drawers or scrawl something onto one of the white boards. I look forward to seeing what jeremysavoy puts together and hearing how his solution works for him.
bigmoguls
Gold Member

Post by bigmoguls »

Be careful of how deep you make your drawers, you don't want to stack up stuff in drawers, you will forget you have stuff when you can't see it.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Either are preferred over open shelves IMO. Too much dust on stuff in the storage areas. I need to make some doors and drawers. Open shelves are terrible.
bigmoguls
Gold Member

Post by bigmoguls »

One more thing.

In your sketchup drawing it looks like your dados are 1/2 depth (3/8") of the panels, 1/3 depth (1/4") is sufficient.