Harbor Freight Dust Collector?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Re: Harbor Freight Dust Collector?

Post by heathicus »

I noticed the dust where it shouldn't have been in the video as well! I would probably use a series of filters. Furnace filters on the outside to catch the bigger particles and a 1 micron or .5 micron just before the blower chamber. Maybe another layer between. I don't know, it's just very early conceptual plans in my head right now.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

One tip , when you are done and think you have it right,,, check the amps on the motor while it is running, if they are too high you may have to cut back ob the filters micron, also a airflow gage will help you determine when to change the filters .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

heathicus wrote:I noticed the dust where it shouldn't have been in the video as well! I would probably use a series of filters. Furnace filters on the outside to catch the bigger particles and a 1 micron or .5 micron just before the blower chamber. Maybe another layer between. I don't know, it's just very early conceptual plans in my head right now.
His design is nice but with the filters he is using it is useless. I would not even say it is better than nothing.

The dust stays suspended in the air for a period of time after it is created. The very heaviest particles fall fairly quickly but the small particles (the most dangerous ones to us) stay suspended and rise due to convection created by the warm air in the shop. That is why ceiling mounted air filters are more efficient.

I have my two ceiling mounted air filters mounted in opposite directions. That way the exhaust of one is on the intake side of the other. Hopefully that creates a circular air flow at the ceiling. I have no idea if at the end of the day it makes much difference but it certainly can't make things worse.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote:One tip , when you are done and think you have it right,,, check the amps on the motor while it is running, if they are too high you may have to cut back ob the filters micron, also a airflow gage will help you determine when to change the filters .
Why?

The load on the motor is due to the air flow, the amount of air the blower is pulling. Block the air intake of a vacuum or any other air sucker. The noise gets louder. That is because the motor speeds up. Why? Because you have removed the load on the motor. No air going through the blower (the load) so the motor speeds up.

I know, nobody thinks of it that way for what ever reason but that is the way it is.

That is why more surface area of a filter means more air flow through the blower. That equates to a higher load on the motor.

One of the other things that nobody ever thinks about (really no reason to) is that the North Pole is magnetically north polarity. -WRONG- The North Pole is actually South magnetic polarity. Go Google it. You will find that the north pointing end of a compass needle is actually north polarity. That means that it is attracted to the opposite polarity, south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Magnetic_Pole
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Good point, I have seen where the increase in motor noise slowly increased over time and wasnt noticed , even with a air gage some folks dont look at them.

Just flashing back when we used belts on blower housings ,,sort of giving way my age here,,,,, most drive pulleys were adjustable , seen one or two motors ruined pretty fast because the load wasnt checked .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Good point, I have seen where the increase in motor noise slowly increased over time and wasnt noticed , even with a air gage some folks dont look at them.

Just flashing back when we used belts on blower housings ,,sort of giving way my age here,,,,, most drive pulleys were adjustable , seen one or two motors ruined pretty fast because the load wasnt checked .
Methinks the motor 'size' was the culprit(too small). ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

jsburger wrote:
Hobbyman2 wrote:One tip , when you are done and think you have it right,,, check the amps on the motor while it is running, if they are too high you may have to cut back ob the filters micron, also a airflow gage will help you determine when to change the filters .
Why?

The load on the motor is due to the air flow, the amount of air the blower is pulling. Block the air intake of a vacuum or any other air sucker. The noise gets louder. That is because the motor speeds up. Why? Because you have removed the load on the motor. No air going through the blower (the load) so the motor speeds up.

I know, nobody thinks of it that way for what ever reason but that is the way it is.

That is why more surface area of a filter means more air flow through the blower. That equates to a higher load on the motor.

One of the other things that nobody ever thinks about (really no reason to) is that the North Pole is magnetically north polarity. -WRONG- The North Pole is actually South magnetic polarity. Go Google it. You will find that the north pointing end of a compass needle is actually north polarity. That means that it is attracted to the opposite polarity, south.

John, the reason those motors speed up, when
the intake is blocked, stall. The impeller's
blades look (and work) like a wing. Too steep
a climb, (or less air) and the wing stalls.

Oh, liked the logic with the North Pole!

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

skou wrote:
jsburger wrote:
Why?

John, the reason those motors speed up, when
the intake is blocked, stall. The impeller's
blades look (and work) like a wing. Too steep
a climb, (or less air) and the wing stalls.

Oh, liked the logic with the North Pole!

steve
OK, I guess that is a different way of explaining it that is even more confusing to the layman. That is what I said, no air, no load on the motor. Regardless, the point I was trying to make was that Hobbyman2 seemed to indicate that higher micron filters put a higher load on the motor. Not true.

That should be lower micron filters. As in 1 micron as opposed to 5 micron.
Last edited by jsburger on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

jsburger, you've got me thinking. I don't have the head room to mount an air cleaner on the ceiling, but I wonder if I could mount it outside of the building. Mount it on an exterior wall, cut a vent in the wall for the air intake, go through the purifier, then output back into the shop through another vent. I'm thinking...
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

heathicus wrote:jsburger, you've got me thinking. I don't have the head room to mount an air cleaner on the ceiling, but I wonder if I could mount it outside of the building. Mount it on an exterior wall, cut a vent in the wall for the air intake, go through the purifier, then output back into the shop through another vent. I'm thinking...
Heath, I have the Jet unit, and it works well. I ceiling-mounted mine, but that’s just one of many options. You can mount it in any orientation, on any surface, or just set it on top of something. The ony requirement is that the airflow is not blocked (at the long ends of the unit).