Drill Press only shorty

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

johnwilliamson062
Gold Member

Drill Press only shorty

Post by johnwilliamson062 »

How long does it need to be? I am not concerned about any other functions, just want drill press.

How much would I need to add to run bandsaw also?
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Drill Press only shorty

Post by reible »

The term shorty is not really defined. We commonly give the amount that is either left after cutting the tubes or say how much we cut off. So if you cut off an inch it is already a shorty.....

A stock machine is listed as having a "25" of chuck-to-worktable surface distance". Now I have never measured mine but I do know there are several lengths of drill chucks that have shown up on shopsmiths over the years and I have no idea which one was used for the measurement.

Also keep in mind the length of drill bits you might use and subtract that as well as the largest piece of stock you might drill, even if the hole is not a thru hole you might want to drill something say 10" thick so, this is up to you but remember you will not be able to add to the length once cut except by buying new tubes.

So as an example I have a machine that I cut 16" out off. If I take the 25" and subtract the 16 I end up with a dimension of about 9". So if I had a 4" long drill bit extending out of the chuck the work piece would be limited to about 5" thickness. Like wise if you take out 18" then you have just 3" thickness possible with the same drill bit.

These are just general numbers, some bit sets come in "stubby" and so on and then you can always remove the table and get more distance depending on the objects size and if you can find a good support system either on the floor or on a bench or what not.

Mounting a bandsaw requires you to use a coupler, shopsmith has these but likewise there are ebay sellers that allow you to have either longer or shorter couplers if you are willing to buy them. This can reduce the space needed but only to up to a point.

In general it seems a lot of people like to cut off 18" and that keeps most of the functionality. I went with taking out 16" so I can make use of the old red shopsmith cabinets sitting next to each other under it. I don't recall the shortest version but if you are interested I'm sure someone remembers......

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I can't answer that.

Drill Press only? Vertical drill press only or do you want horizontal boring also?

You want only drill press capability BUT WAIT A MINUTE maybe you want the bent sander too. Well, if you want belt sander you have to go to horizontal mode and now your tubes must be much longer than if you were remaining in drill press mode.

Make a good guess and go from there. I cut off 14" and often wish I had taken only 13". You can always buy tubes and start over.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

If it is only to be a vertical drill press, then why shorten it?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Dansmith wrote:If it is only to be a vertical drill press, then why shorten it?
That is a good question. I think that if I was planning a drill press only configuration I would give real serious consideration to mounting it on a wall.
Last edited by dusty on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

dusty wrote:
Dansmith wrote:If it is only to be a vertical drill press, then why shorten it?
That is a good question. I think that if was planning a drill press only configuration I would give real serious consideration to mounting it on a wall.
Ditto

Everett
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

I would just chose either a dedicated drill press or a full sized shopsmith. I wouldn't want to give up the height of the full drill press by reducing the tubes for the headstock to travel on. A dedicated drill press can be floor standing by shortening just the bench tubes and having regular sized way tubes perminantly in the dp position.
-Beave
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Just for clarification, I have a Shorty that is used for nearly all of my drill press operations. I normally have the belt sander mounted on the other end. I have an unmolested Mark V, Model 520 that stands ready for all projects that are not/can not be done on the Shorty. I have the Mark V set up with double tilt but I have not yet changed the table tubes and don't feel pressured to do so.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
johnwilliamson062
Gold Member

Post by johnwilliamson062 »

Option one, and ost likely, is DP only vertical mode, so only shortening bench tubes.

Mounting to a wall is not an option.
DP is the last operation I perform with my SS. Everything else I have a dedicated machine available.

A company I have confidence in may be releasing a bench-top VS DP similar to the WEN4214. I am trying to decide whether I should keep my SS for DP or move to the other drill press. I won't consider machines that are not VS, so if you are going to make suggestions along that route... forget it. Also not interested in a floor stand DP at this time. If I get away from the SS it will be to a bench top.
The SS advantage is: I already own it and don't have much in it and can't get much out of it. It is really quite mobile for its size.

Adding the ability to run a couple SPTs and be bale to get rid of the power stand would push it over the edge.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

When comparing those drill presses this is my opinion.

Ss has a 1 1/8 hp motor vs 2/3 hp.
It also has a larger table with fence that is Handy for a multitude of reasons.
Both are variable speed. (A digital readout would be nice but unnecessary in my opinion)
The bench top drill press is smaller, but the SS has more capacity.

I know from experience that the SS is built like a tank and doesn't break like some low priced tools now a days.

Overall I would go shopsmith drill press because of the above. But I also converted a spare 510 into a floor standing drill press and love it. I can't imagine downgrading to a big box stores drill press now...
-Beave