Cleaning blades

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

psargeant
Gold Member

Cleaning blades

Post by psargeant »

I was cutting some wood with my bandsaw today which left a lot of pitch on both the wheels and the blade. I was having trouble getting the blade cleaned with a spray-on type blade and bit cleaner. I remember hearing a suggestion that Oxy-Clean worked very well to clean gunk off saw blades so I decided to try it. I wrapped up my blade so it would fit in a 10 inch round pan and soaked it for 10 minutes in a solution of 2 tablespoons Oxy-Clean powder dissolved in about a quart of water. When I went to clean the blade what pitch hadn't already dissolved wiped right off. I could not believe how nicely that blade cleaned up. I just pass this along for something to consider if you ever have the same problem.
Phil Sargeant
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

GREAT suggestion, and it's safer than using an oven cleaner.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob