Plow vs 4 x 4

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Plow vs 4 x 4

Post by reible »

, timber that is.

So the latest adventure of the 9 days of snow was a little more damaging then just what happens when it snows. A 10 ton snow plow has no problem snapping a 4 x 4 when they meet.
20180211_143234_resized.jpg
20180211_143234_resized.jpg (417.94 KiB) Viewed 6558 times
Now I have come up with something temporary, that will last a couple of months until it thaws enough to replace the post.

The plow driver stopped and told me he had done it and called it in, I guess the city will do something but neither of us knows what. He has been driving for 3 years now and this was his first strike. It happens.

The box itself lost the hinge on one side and that was about it. Not sure if I can repair it, maybe they even sell replacement parts??? Problem is the box is pretty old now so if there has been design changes they may not have old parts........

Ah winter there is so much to love about it.

Ed
Last edited by reible on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Plow vs 4 x 4

Post by ChrisNeilan »

It was nice that he stopped. 4 X 4's are cheap, roads need to be plowed. Be glad he did not hit the Cordoba!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Found the repair information, they sell the door and pins for $20 plus shipping and handling. I only need one pin so I may heat up the shop and see if I can turn something that will work. If not the whole box is $50 or I could go with another brand that is about the same size for $30.

Yes the post is cheap but waiting for the 4 feet of snow bank to melt and the ground to thaw enough to put it in is a while off. I'm thinking of getting some 2 x 4's and make a christmas tree stand sort of X and standing it in the snow bank for tomorrows mail. Who needs a door on the mail box for a day or two???

I got the mail box off and washed up and it is drying now. Let it warm up before I take the other pin off the other hinge and see what a real one looks like then decide how brave I feel about turning one.

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I am guessing there is still a hunk of wood left in the ground. Drill some holes in it and drop a few rebates in it. Then drill some hole in the broken part and put it on the rebar. Won't be pretty but should hold until spring thaw.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

About 5 or 6 years ago we had a winter to end all winters. We had so much snow in the valley the mail boxes in town were literally buried by the snow plows. The USPS came out and said just put a bucket or some container on the snow bank in front of your house and we will put the mail in it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

They plow residentail streets? They sure don't here.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

joedw00 wrote:They plow residentail streets? They sure don't here.
Huh! :confused: :confused: :confused: There are a lot of places in the south that don't even have snow plows so they can't plow when they get the odd storm. I certainly never thought of Kansas in that category
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I am guessing there is still a hunk of wood left in the ground. Drill some holes in it and drop a few rebates in it. Then drill some hole in the broken part and put it on the rebar. Won't be pretty but should hold until spring thaw.
There looks like a lot of glue surface so I might give that a try.... and wrap with duct tape??

I have to dig into the bank tomorrow to see what the bottom part looks like. There is about 4 feet of snow bank and it all frozen and compressed so I didn't feel like it after having done the rest of the sidewalk and drive way after the 5" of snow over night. The box was twisted 90 degrees and slightly bent to one side but had not even got pulled out of the bank. I lifted it out to see the damage.

So to make life even more interesting I started to take the broken part apart and found about 25 ants living in there???? Yes they were alive and warming up enough to start moving around. Good thing I found when I did or they would have been off looking for food and a better nesting site. I took the other side apart but no life in there.

Now if I can find some plastic material that is thick enough in my collection I will attempt to make a replacement part.

For tomorrow I think a saw horse with the open mail box will have to do.

As for plowing, the city has some big plow trucks and then contracts a lot of independent small plows. Since we had seen so little snow this season and since a lot of these independents have this as part of their income we had a lot of trucks out and plowing. It was one of the big trucks that got the box, I think they were attempting to widen the road since the smaller trucks can't do that well.

The forcast is for temperatures above freezing later this week so we do have the melt to look forward to.

Ed
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

We have snow plows, they just do main roads.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

we have had a lot of ice this year .seems like the snow is north or south of us .don't have to worry about the plows,, our mail service is hand delivered ,,the box is on the house .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)