Shopsmith Shelix Conversion?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

procrastinator
Gold Member

Shopsmith Shelix Conversion?

Post by procrastinator »

I watched a number of YouTube videos showing the process of replacing the Dewalt 735 planer knives with the Shelix helical cutter heads. Just wondering if anyone has spent the $700 to upgrade their Shopsmith planer.
RetiredNavyChief
Gold Member

Re: Shopsmith Shelix Conversion?

Post by RetiredNavyChief »

First time posting but long time Shopsmith owner and forum guest. Bought my Mark V in 1979 and upgraded it to a Mark 7. Have all the SPTs except the Scroll saw. Three of my projects are in the Shopsmith catalog. I contemplated buying a Powermatic 15" Planer with Byrd SHELIX Helical Cutterhead; however, finally decided to upgrade my Shopsmith planer with a Shelix cutter head. Ordered part number 555082 with new bearings on February 1, 2018 and received it on February 8th. Even though the planer is over 30 years old, model number 505590 mounted on its own stand the cutter head fit perfectly. Extremely quiet and the finish was super smooth.
PowerPro, 500 Shopsmith,Jointer, Bandsaw, Belt Sander, JointMatic, 16/32 Performax Drum Sander, Strip Sander, Shopsmith Planer with Shelix Cutterhead, Shopsmith Pin Router, King 16 inch Scroll Saw
procrastinator
Gold Member

Post by procrastinator »

How difficult was the installation? Any details about the process would be very helpful in making the decision to purchase one.
RetiredNavyChief
Gold Member

Replacing the head is not difficult. After removing the two top covers and pulley safety guard the original cutterhead can be pulled out by removing the bearing support (on the side without the feed motor). Then was able to insert the new cutter head and reattach the bearing support. The cutter head did require some turning and wiggling to install, but it only took about five minutes to complete.
PowerPro, 500 Shopsmith,Jointer, Bandsaw, Belt Sander, JointMatic, 16/32 Performax Drum Sander, Strip Sander, Shopsmith Planer with Shelix Cutterhead, Shopsmith Pin Router, King 16 inch Scroll Saw
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Good to know! I’ve been very tempted to spring for one myself, largely for the noise reduction. (My basement workshop is directly underneath our family room.) When planing, how does the sound level compare with other equipment?
RetiredNavyChief
Gold Member

The sound is considerably less than the old cutter head. My shop is in a two car garage that is insulated and finished. It is adjacent to the kitchen and open living area. My wife's opinion is the sound is a 4.5 to 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. I have a DC3300 dust collector and I think its sound is louder than the planer when in operation.
procrastinator
Gold Member

Post by procrastinator »

It has been over a year since asking the question if anyone had decided to try the Shelix conversion for the SS Planer. I believe one person replied having done the conversion. Question now being after a years worth of use / testing, what insights could you provide for anyone still contemplation such a conversion, good or bad!
RetiredNavyChief
Gold Member

I have not done any extensive planing with the new Shelix blades. However, today I ran a 5 inch by 8 foot walnut board thru the planer with excellent results. Took off about 1/32 twice on each side. I am please with the ease of cut and smoothness. The noise is also considerable lower than conventional blades.
519wood
Bronze Member

Post by 519wood »

I got a cutter from Sheartak tools in waterloo ON. It is AMAZING and is way cheaper than the other brands as well.
here is the link to get one from Sheartak: https://www.sheartak.com/Shopsmith-12-i ... kc2kGnA5CR
Last edited by 519wood on Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I am not seeing it being "way cheaper." Didn't check the Shopsmith planer price but for the DeWalt DW735, which I and many others own, there is a $15 USD savings between the Sheartak and the Shelix in the OEM size.

Are you affiliated with or sponsored by Sheartak?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!