Rockler dust mask review

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Rockler dust mask review

Post by reible »

One of the not so fun issues I have is with working in a cold shop and or working outside when it cold. One issue for me is dealing with the dust mask I have. It works well and I like it but when it is cold it is plain uncomfortable to put on and wear when it is cold.

Yes I try to remember to bring it indoors with me the day before so it all nice and warm, but do I always remember, nope. Or sometimes I am not planning on need a dust mask but then plans change and there it is setting in the cold shop waiting for me to have to put it on. Sometimes I just don't wear it, I know that's bad but if it is only a few minutes I like it better then having to wear the cold mask.

I know some of you are saying just man up on this. Well I have been but now I want to old man up on this and get something different.

Here is a link to what I got:

http://www.rockler.com/m2-mesh-face-mas ... ws-content

There are other colors but I'm more of a green person so I went that way. It comes in a zippered pouch to store it away and has a d-ring on the zipper so you can hang it up. Also inside is a second filter so you have one at the ready when needed. They of course sell more of the filters so at some point I'll get another pack.

It is comfortable in the cold weather, so now it just hangs out in the cold but I don't mind putting it on when needed and it now gets used in the colder weather. I expect it to be more comfortable in the hot weather too but have yet to find out. I'll still use my old mask for most of the times when the weather is more normal.

I also like that in can be fit in place without having to take my glasses off. The old mask go over your head with one strap and then the other part sits on your head. So glasses and hats off time. This is nice since I can keep my winter hat on and still put it on and wear it.

I have not changed filters yet but it seems simple. The storage bag has a tool to help you so what could go wrong??? Well time will tell.

I got mine for a bit off with a coupon but even the full price is not that bad when it comes down to it. The main thing is that I like it enough to wear it when needed which is better for me.

They come in three sizes so they should fit anyone except perhaps a few on the extremes. Like wise the filters are sized so remember what size you purchased for when you need new filters.

So I have to say I like it and would recommend it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
artman60
Gold Member

Re: Rockler dust mask review

Post by artman60 »

Good review, thank you. Just might put one on my pick up next time I’m there list.
The clock of life is wound but once.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

+1
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

That one is good but this one is better in my opinion. Maintains a positive air flow like a cpap machine so dust does not have a chance to get in. I have to take great care when it comes to dust.

http://www.rockler.com/power-air-respirator
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

says it causes reproductive harm... I guess if you took it off during the reproductive cause act that would solve that problem...
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

sehast wrote:That one is good but this one is better in my opinion. Maintains a positive air flow like a cpap machine so dust does not have a chance to get in. I have to take great care when it comes to dust.

http://www.rockler.com/power-air-respirator
I did look at that one and I liked it but it didn't look like it would be any better then what I already have, and since I have a particular aversion to the plastic mask when they are cold I wouldn't likely use it in my cold shop.... so I'll stick to what I purchased because I will and have been using it in the cold. Those better masks are only better if you use them.

For those of you in heated shops or in warmer climates take you dust mask and put it in the refrigerator over night then in the morning put it on. If you are comfortable wearing it then you are a better person then I am.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have one and like it a lot. It is very comfortable and seems to filter out most of the dust. I still use the Trendaire for the toxic stuff and while working on the lathe but for sanding non toxics and general dust protection I use it daily.
Paul
JonWalter
Bronze Member

Post by JonWalter »

I’ve worn a lot of different respirators over the years, & everyone of them have something to be desired.

I guess everyone has a little different contour to there face, & they try to design one that fits all.

The silicon rubber mask seems to adjust fairly well.

Thanks for the review, Jon
Tess
Bronze Member

Post by Tess »

I have so much dust masks, but this is the most productive)
Thanks a lot for review, Tess

Best regards, MyTopTools
___