Love My SS Mark V 520!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

agleason
Gold Member

Love My SS Mark V 520!

Post by agleason »

I had a big "Honeydo" project today. We had an old flowerbed out from with rotten timbers. We dug it all out and I used the Shopsmith to cut the 8 foot replacement timbers to the correct length. I used the floating tables to extend the bed to support the long timbers and the miter to hold everything in place and carefully made my cuts. Awesome machine!!ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

50th Anniversary Mark V Model 520
Bandsaw, Jointer, Beltsander
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Love My SS Mark V 520!

Post by dusty »

Nice looking Shopsmith Mark V Model 520 and a very nice looking retaining wall.

Just be very cautious when cutting anything that is so long as to extend "way beyond" the edge of your tables.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Well done and congratulations on a successful project.

I admit when I first saw your post and pictures, I would probably not have tried cutting landscaping timbers to length on a SS, but rather used a circular saw. I then had a flashback to one of my first projects, that didn't end as well. I was trying to make some bookcases, and wanted to route a dado for the shelf standards. I got the dado blade setup, made roller pin supports for the 8' long 3/4" pw sides, and the dadoes wound up less than straight and less than consistent depth, with some splintering along the edges. The size of the pieces I was trying to hold against the fence and down against the table were just more than I could handle. A guided, hand held router would be my choice today, but I was new at woodworking and my expectations exceeded my experience. Every tool has its advantages and weaknesses, and the SS is no exception. Sometimes it won't be the best tool for the job, and have the wisdom to recognize that. There will be plenty of jobs for which it is the perfect tool, but don't forget about all of your other choices when the job at hand requires objective decision making.
jmattsson
Gold Member

Post by jmattsson »

I see the license plates in the background. Whereabouts in SC are you?
agleason
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Love My SS Mark V 520!

Post by agleason »

jmattsson wrote:I see the license plates in the background. Whereabouts in SC are you?
I am in Easley.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

50th Anniversary Mark V Model 520
Bandsaw, Jointer, Beltsander