Bosch Digital Laser

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Bosch Digital Laser

Post by dusty »

I bought a couple new toys a couple weeks ago but have not had much time to play with them. Today I have the time but after just a few minutes I decided that I needed to ask for advice.

I have the laser set up on my table saw with the laser pointed at the blade a fixed distance away. As I rotate the blade (using the spindle) I can move each successive tooth into the laser and get a measurement (of that fixed distance).

My question: When I finally get done (having recorded the distance for each and every tooth) will there be any valid conclusion that I can draw from the data?

The laser is advertised to be accurate to 1/32" (.03125") and the blade is a common ordinary Shopsmith combination blade.
Bosch Laser 1.jpg
Bosch Laser 1.jpg (269.19 KiB) Viewed 23768 times
Bosch Laser 2.jpg
Bosch Laser 2.jpg (558.33 KiB) Viewed 23768 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Bosch Digital Laser

Post by Gene Howe »

1/32" seems like a lot of variance, to me. For fence alignments, it might be useful.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Gene Howe wrote:1/32" seems like a lot of variance, to me. For fence alignments, it might be useful.
As shown, this would tell you nothing about fence alignment. If anything useful at all, when used as shown in the pictures, it would quantify the variations in blade (wobble).

But for your comment, what do you consider appropriate for fence and table alignment?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

For both fence and table alignment, I use a dial indicator and a verified flat steel plate on the arbor.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Gene Howe wrote:For both fence and table alignment, I use a dial indicator and a verified flat steel plate on the arbor.
Agree. And what do you use for a tolerance. I shot for +-.003" but often accept a little bit more and this is only for alignments.

These days I am quite satisfied if my projects come out somewhere between 1/16" and 1/32" of what is called out on my drawings.. However, the improved shop lighting may enable me to become a bit more picky.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

.03 either way is close enough for me. .05 is just ok.
I very, very seldom work from plans. It's usually, as a buddy calls it, my one cell Sketchup. Consequently, other than gross ones, measurements are rarely used. I've got 6 or eight tapes and several rules from my cabinet building days. All are gathering dust. That is not to say that precision cuts have no place in my shop. I just get there without relying on gadgets with numbers.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

A-men, Gene! When reading threads like this about using the newest and greatest inventions of measurement it makes me wonder if woodworkers are quickly losing any ability to see and feel the unique and exciting feeling of cutting, shaping and fitting of wood for useful purposes.

Are we losing the experience of using blocks, sticks, eyesight and feeling rather than some digital device to fashion a piece of wood? I was taught that finger tips are more accurate than micrometers. Still think that's true.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

charlese wrote:A-men, Gene! When reading threads like this about using the newest and greatest inventions of measurement it makes me wonder if woodworkers are quickly losing any ability to see and feel the unique and exciting feeling of cutting, shaping and fitting of wood for useful purposes.

Are we losing the experience of using blocks, sticks, eyesight and feeling rather than some digital device to fashion a piece of wood? I was taught that finger tips are more accurate than micrometers. Still think that's true.
Another Amen from me!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

± 1/32"???

Bosch says accuracy is ± 1/16" ?????

I would have expected something better.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

with out any question a saw set to cut accurately and true is hands down much more safe to use then one out of wack , especially when it comes to kick back .

Also adds life to blades .

lay out lines , that's a different story .

My motto is ,,,when its tight ,, its right jmo
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)