Can a 12" Planer w/o feed motor be converted to manual feed?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Can a 12" Planer w/o feed motor be converted to manual feed?

Post by everettdavis »

Those both are valid motors.

Everett
Two of the Planer Feed Motors.jpg
Two of the Planer Feed Motors.jpg (181.54 KiB) Viewed 14701 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:I tempted fate!

1/4 x 5/16 x 1/2 Measured 0.246 x 0.309 x 0.477

Brush retaining cap appears to be 1/2 - 32 thread(about 3 threads).

I did NOT pull the brush holder from the motor.

I do not know anything re vintage nor any history as it was an E-bay purchase.

The part # on the tag is VO3537AA80.

Mine is V03537AD80

Did you make a typo? If not I will pull one and measure.
No typo.

However, I believe mine is from a SS mount planer in spite of it being black. History unknown(an e-bay purchase).

Additional info on the tag:
\gear ratio 29:1

Motor rpm 3300(at 90vdc I assume).

1/20 HP

90V .5A

Well Everett posted before I completed this post.

He posted a pix of MY motor tag!!! :cool: :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think the different gear head ratio illustrates the difference between the SS mount and the proplaner motor. Different speed range obtained.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:I tempted fate!

1/4 x 5/16 x 1/2 Measured 0.246 x 0.309 x 0.477

Brush retaining cap appears to be 1/2 - 32 thread(about 3 threads).

I did NOT pull the brush holder from the motor.

I do not know anything re vintage nor any history as it was an E-bay purchase.

The part # on the tag is VO3537AA80.

Mine is V03537AD80

Did you make a typo? If not I will pull one and measure.
No typo.

However, I believe mine is from a SS mount planer in spite of it being black. History unknown(an e-bay purchase).

Additional info on the tag:
\gear ratio 29:1

Motor rpm 3300(at 90vdc I assume).

1/20 HP

90V .5A

Well Everett posted before I completed this post.

He posted a pix of MY motor tag!!! :cool: :D
The other one is mine. At least it is the same serial number. So I will pull a brush and see if it is the same size as yours.
Attachments
IMAG0187.jpg
IMAG0187.jpg (112.01 KiB) Viewed 14699 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Here is a 3rd model V03537AC80

Everett
Planer Motor V03537AC80.JPG
Planer Motor V03537AC80.JPG (129.73 KiB) Viewed 14699 times
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

And the BImage
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

So it looks like the A and B models are the early SS mounted and Pro planer motors and the C and D models are the later models for the same planers.

The 29:1 ratio is the SS mount planer and the 18.48:1 is the Pro planer.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

jsburger wrote:So it looks like the A and B models are the early SS mounted and Pro planer motors and the C and D models are the later models for the same planers.

That sounds right to me as well.

V03537AA80 .5 A 1/20HP 90 VDC 29:1 RATIO 3300 RPM

V03537AB80 .5 A 1/20HP 115 VDC 18.48:1 RATIO 3300 RPM

V03537AC80 .5 A 1/20HP 115 VDC 29:1 RATIO 3300 RPM

V03537AD80 .5 A 1/20HP 115 VDC 18.48:1 RATIO 3300 RPM

There may be more motor model designators than these as Shopsmith sourced the motor(s) from multiple vendors. I am still searching for Brushes, Brush Holders and Caps that are in different vintages of DC Motors that we might could use to repair motors that simply have worn brushes.

I am not holding my breath, but someone, somewhere with a background in these types of motors may have the exact answer we need and clue us in. The labels are Shopsmith labels put on the motors likey by the vendors opposed to their own model numbers and OEM Manufacturer Name. If we knew those, we would know what parts to seek.

No one including Shopsmith would have had a complete motor series manufactured just for them due to the expense. Reduction gear variances were offered by many motor vendors in the day and Shopsmith could have selected an option there.

Everett

Here is another site that has brush holders etc. If someone near them in Whittier, Ca. cares to pick this up and take it forward by carrying in a sample or two.

http://store.eurtonelectric.com/brushholders.aspx

UPDATE:

Didn't realize this was there until today! Shopsmith V03537AD80 Armature Rewind $125.00

http://eurtonelectric.com/catalog/armat ... ure_rewind

If they can rewind the armature, then these motors are serviceable. I would bet they can match the brushes, brush holders, and caps too.

This could be a game changer....

Everett
Armature Rebuild for V03537AD80  125.00.png
Armature Rebuild for V03537AD80 125.00.png (108.42 KiB) Viewed 14634 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:
jsburger wrote:So it looks like the A and B models are the early SS mounted and Pro planer motors and the C and D models are the later models for the same planers.

That sounds right to me as well.

V03537AA80 .5 A 1/20HP 90 VDC 29:1 RATIO 3300 RPM

V03537AB80 .5 A 1/20HP 115 VDC 18.48:1 RATIO 3300 RPM

V03537AC80 .5 A 1/20HP 115 VDC 29:1 RATIO 3300 RPM

V03537AD80 .5 A 1/20HP 115 VDC 18.48:1 RATIO 3300 RPM

There may be more motor model designators than these as Shopsmith sourced the motor(s) from multiple vendors. I am still searching for Brushes, Brush Holders and Caps that are in different vintages of DC Motors that we might could use to repair motors that simply have worn brushes.

I am not holding my breath, but someone, somewhere with a background in these types of motors may have the exact answer we need and clue us in. The labels are Shopsmith labels put on the motors likey by the vendors opposed to their own model numbers and OEM Manufacturer Name. If we knew those, we would know what parts to seek.

No one including Shopsmith would have had a complete motor series manufactured just for them due to the expense. Reduction gear variances were offered by many motor vendors in the day and Shopsmith could have selected an option there.

Everett

Here is another site that has brush holders etc. If someone near them in Whittier, Ca. cares to pick this up and take it forward by carrying in a sample or two.

http://store.eurtonelectric.com/brushholders.aspx

UPDATE:

Didn't realize this was there until today! Shopsmith V03537AD80 Armature Rewind $125.00

http://eurtonelectric.com/catalog/armat ... ure_rewind

If they can rewind the armature, then these motors are serviceable. I would bet they can match the brushes, brush holders, and caps too.

This could be a game changer....

Everett
Armature Rebuild for V03537AD80 125.00.png
I called Eurton Electric and talked to Heather. She was most helpful. She totally agreed with my premis that the brushes etc. are probably not unique although she did say some manufactures do use "oddball/non-standard" sizes.

She said you search for brushes by size not motor manufacturer. She said measure the brush and give them a call. They probably have them in stock and if not they can have them made if they are truly unique.

Here is the brush from JPG's A model motor.

http://store.eurtonelectric.com/25x31x6 ... 403-2.aspx

Yes it is a little longer but a new brush should be longer. The only other variable is the cap on the end of the spring. That has to be matched since there are various shapes.

I asked the obvious question, "Who made the motor and do you have the prints?". No prints, they reverse engineer almost everything. The manufacturer is probably a VonWeeise or a Chinese knock off was the answer. Well, not Chinese from what we know about SS back then.

Here is the VonWeise web site.

http://www.vonweise.com/index.htm

They are in Eaton Rapids, MI. Notice the similarity of the part numbers on the web site to the SS motor part numbers.

VonWeise may not answer any questions due to a proprietary relationship between them and SS but it is worth asking.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I am working in the next two weeks to get some things rearranged in my shop and storage areas. This is enabled now as I retire next Friday after 28.8 years.

I have one Shopsmith Mounted Planer (New Old Stock).

It still has most of the white adhesive backed protector on the bed surface, which means both it, and the feed motor is unused beyond any factory testing when manufactured.

If I find time, I will take the feed motor off, remove and measure the new (at least never used) brushes, disassemble the end cap and show what is necessary to disconnect and remove the brush holders. I will measure those as well.

I also have a Pro Planer which will have a different feed motor. I will consider doing that one too. This would get 2 of the 4 known types.

Everett