Power Pro Slows Down During Lathe Operation

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lodgepole
Gold Member

Power Pro Slows Down During Lathe Operation

Post by Lodgepole »

I was turning some common Douglas fir down to 3" diameter. I was using Easy Wood lathe tools and taking light cuts. When the headstock seemed to loose all torque. It would come to a full stop with the smallest catch.

Any ideas? I have contacted the Shopsmith staff asking for additional descriptions. But, I would like to fix this sooner than later.

Thanks, in advance, for any tips or suggestions.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Re: Power Pro Slows Down During Lathe Operation

Post by fredsheldon »

Sounds like the belt might be slipping. The motor can be adjusted up and down to tighten or loosen the belt. Or dust might be on the speed sensor.
Fred Sheldon
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Just to ask a stupid question, but could the workpiece have been slipping? How were you holding the wood? I ask, because I have had wood stop when using a steb center. The powerpro is quiet and felt like it stopped when in fact the wood was slipping...
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

I opened up the headstock and a bolt fell out. It was bolt #102 in the exploded drawing. I reinstalled it using Permatex Medium Strength Threadlocker Blue and it is back to running like a champ. The only reason I used Permatex is because this is what I had on hand.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Just a quick note of thank you to the Shopsmith staff. Within minutes of my email they responded with a couple of suggestions and then followed up to make sure my issue had been resolved.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Lodgepole wrote:Just a quick note of thank you to the Shopsmith staff. Within minutes of my email they responded with a couple of suggestions and then followed up to make sure my issue had been resolved.
That is very refreshing given what has been said around here in the past.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Care to share with 'us' what those suggestions were?

Ditto what John said!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Lodgepole wrote:I opened up the headstock and a bolt fell out. It was bolt #102 in the exploded drawing. I reinstalled it using Permatex Medium Strength Threadlocker Blue and it is back to running like a champ. The only reason I used Permatex is because this is what I had on hand.

You have an exploded drawing of a power pro headstock?

#102 in the standard headstock is the vent plate mounting screw.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Power Pro Slows Down During Lathe Operation

Post by Skizzity »

JPG wrote:
Lodgepole wrote:I opened up the headstock and a bolt fell out. It was bolt #102 in the exploded drawing. I reinstalled it using Permatex Medium Strength Threadlocker Blue and it is back to running like a champ. The only reason I used Permatex is because this is what I had on hand.

You have an exploded drawing of a power pro headstock?

#102 in the standard headstock is the vent plate mounting screw.
Yeah, you don't?Image
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Cannot see that causing slippage!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝