Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides on Shopsmith 520 Fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides on Shopsmith 520 Fence

Post by RFGuy »

I installed the Jessem Clear-Cut guides on my Shopsmith 520 fence this morning and did a test run. It worked great on ripping some 1 1/2" thick cherry that is 6' long. The rollers are canted at 5 degrees so they pull the board into the fence. Pics below are my preliminary mounting, but I need to revise it. The T-track from Jessem is an almost perfect match for mating to the centers of the T-track on the Shopsmith 520 fence. I used Shopsmith p/n 514491 sliding t-nuts to secure the Jessem t-track. Unfortunately, to secure into both T-tracks (left and right) on the Shopsmith 520 fence, I will need to drill and tap some new holes in the 514491 sliding t-nuts. I will do that next, but very impressed with the initial test run for this and I believe this will make long ripping much safer. Pictures below for anyone interested.

https://jessem.com/collections/table-sa ... ock-guides
IMG_2941_2.jpg
IMG_2941_2.jpg (582.73 KiB) Viewed 34779 times
IMG_2942_2.jpg
IMG_2942_2.jpg (364.45 KiB) Viewed 34779 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides on Shopsmith 520 Fence

Post by algale »

Have them and love them! In fact I was using them yesterday.

I installed them just as shown in your picture using the shopsmith t-nuts on only the left track of the rip fence. I think you will find it unnecessary to add t-nuts to the right side.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote:Have them and love them! In fact I was using them yesterday.

I installed them just as shown in your picture using the shopsmith t-nuts on only the left track of the rip fence. I think you will find it unnecessary to add t-nuts to the right side.
Excellent! Good to know. I didn't see them posted before in the forum, so if I missed any prior discussion on these guides forgive me. I was really impressed when I saw these guides online. Being in the shop by myself most of the time, I never found a featherboard arrangement that I was happy with on long rip cuts with the Shopsmith. I am happy with my purchase so far and believe these will make rip cuts safer for me. Really glad to know that another Shopsmith owner has this and likes it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

RFGuy wrote:
algale wrote:Have them and love them! In fact I was using them yesterday.

Excellent! Good to know. I didn't see them posted before in the forum, so if I missed any prior discussion on these guides forgive me. I was really impressed when I saw these guides online. Being in the shop by myself most of the time, I never found a featherboard arrangement that I was happy with on long rip cuts with the Shopsmith. I am happy with my purchase so far and believe these will make rip cuts safer for me. Really glad to know that another Shopsmith owner has this and likes it.
Somewhere I posted about them. I think the only thing I had to do was grind a tiny bit off the allen head screws, which otherwise were bottoming out in the t-track.

Yes, they make it much easier to make long rip cuts alone (although out feed support is still a good idea). The Shopsmith feather boards are nice, but these do away with having to re-adjust the feather boards for repeated rips. Also, does away with the problem when the board you are ripping is too wide (covers the miter slot that the feather board fits in). Also, these give good kickback protection as those wheels only turn one way and the downward pressure keeps things on the table (I believe most kickbacks are lifted before they are thrown).
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote:
Yes, they make it much easier to make long rip cuts alone (although out feed support is still a good idea). The Shopsmith feather boards are nice, but these do away with having to re-adjust the feather boards for repeated rips. Also, does away with the problem when the board you are ripping is too wide (covers the miter slot that the feather board fits in). Also, these give good kickback protection as those wheels only turn one way and the downward pressure keeps things on the table (I believe most kickbacks are lifted before they are thrown).
Yeah, I don't have it pictured, but I have the Shopsmith outfeed table. It has always been kind of a PIA to use with the stand for it and being top heavy. Maybe some day, I will use the tricks shown in the forum for attaching a support leg directly to the outfeed table from the carriage. That is a really slick idea. I just realized that I need to order the support brackets for the outfeed table that mate to the 520 table system. I guess I hadn't used it since I made the 520 upgrade many years ago (work, life and medical problems intervened in my woodworking). I also have a Rockler outfeed roller setup which I am using until I can update my Shopsmith outfeed table. Again thanks for your feedback.
📶RF Guy

claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

I made a mounting bracket from aluminum. I love the Jessem Guides! Two brackets one for each slot on the fence.

Jack
Attachments
2014-11-07 20.20.33.jpg
2014-11-07 20.20.33.jpg (714.44 KiB) Viewed 34683 times
2014-11-07 20.20.44.jpg
2014-11-07 20.20.44.jpg (585.53 KiB) Viewed 34683 times
2014-11-07 20.59.10.jpg
2014-11-07 20.59.10.jpg (835.81 KiB) Viewed 34683 times
2014-11-08 13.43.02.jpg
2014-11-08 13.43.02.jpg (852.81 KiB) Viewed 34683 times
2014-11-08 13.44.15.jpg
2014-11-08 13.44.15.jpg (832.94 KiB) Viewed 34683 times
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I was wondering if the older style Jessem guides (the ones that mount vertically to a fence) most often seen on a router table fence, could be used on the table saw? I have the Mark 7 / 520 fence with t-track on the vertical surface. Is the horizontal reach of these too limited as compared to the TS style?
jes router.jpg
jes router.jpg (143.12 KiB) Viewed 34669 times
Not having any experience with the Jessem table saw guides, are they superior enough that I really need both the TS and router guides? (the table saw guides I currently have are large yellow urethane spring loaded wheels and not that dependable anymore),
I have the INCRA Wonder fence setup so plans are to purchase the set normally used with a router fence (04125) and with any luck will be able to finally start making saw dust again by this Spring. Getting old SUCKS!!! :mad: :p :o But it beats the alternative :o :p :D
I'd really like to just spend the money for the one set and have it do dual duty, but also know that I no longer will be able to safely and reliably feed stock into the table saw without mechanical help. If I truly need both, then that's what I'll budget for but if the router style will be sufficient then I can use the money saved on other goodies.
Any wisdom from the powers that be?
Thanks.

Be well,
Ben
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

benush26 wrote:I was wondering if the older style Jessem guides (the ones that mount vertically to a fence) most often seen on a router table fence, could be used on the table saw? I have the Mark 7 / 520 fence with t-track on the vertical surface. Is the horizontal reach of these too limited as compared to the TS style?
jes router.jpg
Not having any experience with the Jessem table saw guides, are they superior enough that I really need both the TS and router guides? (the table saw guides I currently have are large yellow urethane spring loaded wheels and not that dependable anymore),
I have the INCRA Wonder fence setup so plans are to purchase the set normally used with a router fence (04125) and with any luck will be able to finally start making saw dust again by this Spring. Getting old SUCKS!!! :mad: :p :o But it beats the alternative :o :p :D
I'd really like to just spend the money for the one set and have it do dual duty, but also know that I no longer will be able to safely and reliably feed stock into the table saw without mechanical help. If I truly need both, then that's what I'll budget for but if the router style will be sufficient then I can use the money saved on other goodies.
Any wisdom from the powers that be?
Thanks.

Be well,
Ben
Ben, here’s a post in which I described doing exactly that:
http://internet.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/ ... 15#p249315
0087D7F4-CA9E-4836-A5F8-C98831A8278F.jpeg
0087D7F4-CA9E-4836-A5F8-C98831A8278F.jpeg (400.55 KiB) Viewed 34647 times
Although I mounted the router guides directly to the side T-slot on the 520 fence here, it would be easy enough to make up a more versatile mount. A board that mounts flat to the top of the 520 fence, via transverse T-slots, would just about do it. Maybe with a T-track attached to the blade side for the router guides, if you want to be able to change the guide spacing, or if you just don’t want to fiddle with changing the bolts when you move the router guides from one machine to the other.

Jessem pretty much had to design all that nice adjustable bracketry for their tablesaw guides, as it is intended for typical cabinet-saw fences that don’t have any built-in jig-mounting features. But the T-slots already designed into 510 and 520 fences give you a much more versatile starting point.

BTW, I replaced the standard hex-head bolts from Jessem with proper T-bolts from Woodcraft, and I like them a lot better. Now I can use an Allen key to really lock down the knurled clamp knob, without damaging the T-slot on my router fence.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

claimdude wrote:I made a mounting bracket from aluminum. I love the Jessem Guides! Two brackets one for each slot on the fence.

Jack
Nice idea using aluminum bar stock and routing it to mount in the Shopsmith T-track. Thanks for the suggestion.
📶RF Guy

Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I took the guides off the Jessem rail and mount them directly to the 520 fence with T-bolts.

Mike
Jessem.png
Jessem.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 34554 times