Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides on Shopsmith 520 Fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides on Shopsmith 520 Fence

Post by RFGuy »

Mike907 wrote:I took the guides off the Jessem rail and mount them directly to the 520 fence with T-bolts.

Mike

Jessem.png
Thanks, Mike. I thought about doing this, but hadn't tried it yet. From your picture it looks like it works well. It does overhang in the pic, so any stock would have to be shorter than the fence height. Of course, I guess you could use the other T-track to fix this.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
Although I mounted the router guides directly to the side T-slot on the 520 fence here, it would be easy enough to make up a more versatile mount. A board that mounts flat to the top of the 520 fence, via transverse T-slots, would just about do it. Maybe with a T-track attached to the blade side for the router guides, if you want to be able to change the guide spacing, or if you just don’t want to fiddle with changing the bolts when you move the router guides from one machine to the other.

Jessem pretty much had to design all that nice adjustable bracketry for their tablesaw guides, as it is intended for typical cabinet-saw fences that don’t have any built-in jig-mounting features. But the T-slots already designed into 510 and 520 fences give you a much more versatile starting point.

BTW, I replaced the standard hex-head bolts from Jessem with proper T-bolts from Woodcraft, and I like them a lot better. Now I can use an Allen key to really lock down the knurled clamp knob, without damaging the T-slot on my router fence.
Excellent! Thanks Dennis. I’ve got the stock guides bookmarked for my next order.

Be well,
Ben
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I have also have the Jessem guides for my router table and have considered using them on my SS. I have the big yellow wheels for it but also considered getting the Jessem TS stock guides. While looking around the web I found a similar setup on Woodworker's Supply. Has anyone tried their Anti-Kickback Hold Down Guide System? With their ability to clamp to an auxiliary fence, you could cut thicker stock.
96974.jpg
96974.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 32249 times
https://woodworker.com/anti-kickback-ho ... -96974.asp
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have been using the Jessum system for years and love it. It's a very versatile setup and definitely adds a level of safety. I use it on the Incra fence on the big saw and the Incra on the SS. Jessum makes mounting brackets for the Incra so it a very easy mount.
Paul
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

For your information, and in case you are thinking of buy these guides they are on sale at woodcraft:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jess ... 7fa6002153

So you will need to add shipping, est of $11.99
If you have state sales taxes (IL) est of $13.23

For a grand total of about $225.21

List price at Woodcraft is $249.99

Will ship Jan 31, 2019 and the sale ends Jan. 31, 2019.

I haven't decided yet. I do own the router table version and I have thought about get the table saw version but it hasn't happen yet. I do have enough in the budget at this point without knocking anything else off the list but it is rather early in the year to start digging into the slush fund for unplanned purchases.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

47Ebethbrown wrote:I never use jessem router table. Is it good in quality? Share your experience. Plunge router is available in jessem?
Please explain. Do you own a Jessem Router Table and IF YOU DO/DID why do you not use it now?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Dennis,

I too have the JessEm Router Table guides and the maximum stock they show is 13/16 which works for 3/4 cabinet stock just fine on router table.

I too wondered about using them dual purpose in the table saw fence but never tried. Thanks for sharing how you did yours.

The Router version was about $100 and the Table Saw version over twice that at $250. No question they work well on Router and it’s nice to know you adapted them to Shopsmith fence with T-slot adapters.

I was thinking a 556420 Rip Fence Extension would allow one to get beyond that 13/16 limit.

I can see buying the extension at just under $100 due to flexibility it would add on other operations.

Everett
DA569548-86BC-4425-A00C-EC8405740EBA.jpeg
DA569548-86BC-4425-A00C-EC8405740EBA.jpeg (132.06 KiB) Viewed 25738 times
FE268B16-70EC-4F4C-A2AB-52E5E3A30C0D.jpeg
FE268B16-70EC-4F4C-A2AB-52E5E3A30C0D.jpeg (101.81 KiB) Viewed 25738 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Woodcraft has the Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides on sale right now for $200. If anyone has considered getting these, it is a little more palatable to the pocketbook. It's a $57 savings and good through Jan 31, 2019.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jess ... ccessories
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

I am considering a purchase of the table saw version of these stock guides and have a question for those of you that have used them...

If the distance from the fence to the blade is small (2" to 3" ??), do the guides get in the way of pushing the stock all the way through the cut?
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

I am not where I can check at the moment but if I recall 3" is ok. 2" probably not. They are a snap to move them out of the way when needed though. I have had them for several years along with the router table version and have not regretted the purchase for a second.

Jack
mountainbreeze wrote:I am considering a purchase of the table saw version of these stock guides and have a question for those of you that have used them...

If the distance from the fence to the blade is small (2" to 3" ??), do the guides get in the way of pushing the stock all the way through the cut?