You should have warned me...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

badtheba
Gold Member

You should have warned me...

Post by badtheba »

I wish I could say I wasn't warned, but I guess I was. I remember right after I posted my first post here someone would say "Oh, I see you've caught the bug", or "You can't stop at just one."

Today I brought home my third ER, serial # E 59318. I had my wife get cash to deliver to a friend who was going 9 miles from a town I knew one was for sale in. I then offered the seller that amount of cash instead of their asking price, and they accepted. Neither my friend nor I told my wife what the cash was for. He called me after arriving to pick it up and she was with me, and figured out what we were talking about. My knee still hurts.

So now that I'm 90% done rebuilding the first one I bought, I have a third machine to put somewhere until I get concrete poured in my small shed. At least she hasn't made me get my freshly painted first one out of the basement yet, so I don't have to worry about climate, covers, heat, or rust on that one yet.
amboyna
Gold Member

Re: You should have warned me...

Post by amboyna »

How can I warn someone when I have the same problem. I'm down to two at the moment. But a month ago I had 4. And I'm thinking of buying another 10E with a very low serial number.
It is a true sickness when you want to purchase a machine because the serial number is lower than the one you own.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

Hmm I don't have the serial number obsession. If anything I'm the other way around, because I'm partial to the one piece lock wedges.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

badtheba wrote:Hmm I don't have the serial number obsession. If anything I'm the other way around, because I'm partial to the one piece lock wedges.

I'm in to Brass lock wedges. :)
Bruce Brenner
badtheba
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: You should have warned me...

Post by badtheba »

amboyna wrote:
badtheba wrote:Hmm I don't have the serial number obsession. If anything I'm the other way around, because I'm partial to the one piece lock wedges.

Well my first one had one piece wedges and it was all I knew. No issue. My second one had two piece, and they frustrated the crap out of me. I did all the filing and shaping recommended by skip and nothing helped as the wedges I had to start with were severely deformed. I ended up finally getting brass wedges when someone on the forum or a Facebook page alerted me to a set for sale. They make the machine usable.

amboyna
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: You should have warned me...

Post by amboyna »

badtheba wrote:
amboyna wrote:

Well my first one had one piece wedges and it was all I knew. No issue. My second one had two piece, and they frustrated the crap out of me. I did all the filing and shaping recommended by skip and nothing helped as the wedges I had to start with were severely deformed. I ended up finally getting brass wedges when someone on the forum or a Facebook page alerted me to a set for sale. They make the machine usable.

Shopsmith must of figured out the wedges that replaced the brass wedges were a problem. They added a spring to one set. It definitely helped.
Attachments
spring.jpg
spring.jpg (60.19 KiB) Viewed 12897 times
Bruce Brenner
badtheba
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: You should have warned me...

Post by badtheba »

amboyna wrote:
badtheba wrote:
amboyna wrote: I'm in to Brass lock wedges. :)

Shopsmith must of figured out the wedges that replaced the brass wedges were a problem. They added a spring to one set. It definitely helped.
Yes, and I tried modifying one of the other sets by shortening the wedges and adding a similar spring to those. Although it worked, and helped, the wedges were so far out of round when I got it that there was no saving them. I figured rather than getting frustrated again after buying the same kind of set, I'd either have brass ones made or buy original brass. I want to say it cost me $12-20.

badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

Here's photos. I just decided to unload it at work because it's hearted and I don't really have room for it at home right now. Nothing really special came with it except the speed changer. That and the fact that no one really had to drive out of their way for it made it desirable.ImageImage

badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

Since we're talking about addictions here... If I were to find a mark V and don't know what I'm looking at in pics, but know enough to at least pick out a 520 fence upgrade, how much would that drive the price up? That's assuming no other large attachments are included.

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

badtheba wrote:Since we're talking about addictions here... If I were to find a mark V and don't know what I'm looking at in pics, but know enough to at least pick out a 520 fence upgrade, how much would that drive the price up? That's assuming no other large attachments are included.

I don't think there is an answer to that question. Prices are all over the place depending where you are and the sellers motivation and knowledge of what they have. You see great deals all the time and then you see things that are way over priced due to their condition.

The other thing is you can look at eBay or Craig's List or wherever but you never know what the item actually sold for compared to the original asking price or even if it did sell. You can see what an item sold for on eBay IF you put it on your watch list.

As an example, there was a SS over arm pin router table listed locally on one of the TV stations classified lists. From the pictures it looked almost unused and included a Porter Cable router for another $100. It had castors, dust collection and all the accessories. The asking price was $600 plus the router ($700). They didn't even sell for that much new. I watched and the seller finally finally included the router in the $600 price. Then he dropped the price to $400 with the router. Still high but getting better since it included a router and it was the newest model SS made. After a week or two I called and offered $300. He took it without hesitation. When I picked it up it truly looked brand new. There was absolutely no saw dust on it anywhere. The router had been used but not in the table IMO.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT