You should have warned me...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

amboyna
Gold Member

Re: You should have warned me...

Post by amboyna »

badtheba wrote:Here's photos. I just decided to unload it at work because it's hearted and I don't really have room for it at home right now. Nothing really special came with it except the speed changer. That and the fact that no one really had to drive out of their way for it made it desirable.ImageImage

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
Nice looking machine. Definitely less rust than the one I bought yesterday. Drove 160 miles figuring it had the rare chuck adapter based on photo 1.
And I was right. Also had a speed changer with the numbers going to 8.
Now the problem is getting the adapter off the chuck. Stuff that sits for 70 years...
Curious as to what motor came with your ER.
Attachments
10E_PortOrchard.jpg
10E_PortOrchard.jpg (107.78 KiB) Viewed 11054 times
adapter.jpg
adapter.jpg (86.25 KiB) Viewed 11054 times
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

It came with a GE 1/2hp, that swivels on its bracket. Bigger diameter than another GE 1/2hp I have.

I've also accumulated several motor options. I have 2-3 motors about this size, several good treadmill motor options for when I attempt a variable speed DC lathe option, and one baldor 2HP 3450 rpm that can be wired 110 or 220. I'm putting off any refurbishing on any of the rest until I get my first one completed though.

The speed changer on this one was in great shape. The other speed changer I have has been welded more than once. Though it's still functional, I wanted one that wasn't modified.

amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

My lowest serial number yet. I probably will keep buying lower numbers until I buy 1001. Then I can quit. :)
Attachments
Badge.jpg
Badge.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 11051 times
Bruce Brenner
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

badtheba wrote:It came with a GE 1/2hp, that swivels on its bracket. Bigger diameter than another GE 1/2hp I have.

I've also accumulated several motor options. I have 2-3 motors about this size, several good treadmill motor options for when I attempt a variable speed DC lathe option, and one baldor 2HP 3450 rpm that can be wired 110 or 220. I'm putting off any refurbishing on any of the rest until I get my first one completed though.

The speed changer on this one was in great shape. The other speed changer I have has been welded more than once. Though it's still functional, I wanted one that wasn't modified.

It's amazing how many speed changers are broken from improper use.
That Baldor 2HP must be a monster.
Bruce Brenner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A word of caution re the 0-8 speed changer. I would simply refrain from going above 5. Check the sliding sheave. It should NOT have the step at the bore. The step prevents adjusting until the belt rubbed on the shaft.

Never ever adjust the speed and allow the springs on the control screw to become fully compressed. Doing so causes the breakage mentioned above.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
badtheba
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: You should have warned me...

Post by badtheba »

JPG wrote:A word of caution re the 0-8 speed changer. I would simply refrain from going above 5. Check the sliding sheave. It should NOT have the step at the bore. The step prevents adjusting until the belt rubbed on the shaft.

Never ever adjust the speed and allow the springs on the control screw to become fully compressed. Doing so causes the breakage mentioned above.
The first speed changer I obtained had not only had an ear welded back on and reinforce, but was also welded down the middle. Can't remember without pulling it out again if the second ear was also repaired. At any rate, the machine it came in was well used on a farm.

The ER I just got that I pictured above was kept very clean. The friend that picked it up for me talked to the owner a bit, and he said even when he used it less, he at least went out once a year and went through all recommended maintenance. It's quite clean, and everything moves well and is lubricated. If I do anything to it, I'll just be putting a new top on its homemade bench and putting it to use.

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: RE: Re: You should have warned me...

Post by JPG »

badtheba wrote:
JPG wrote:A word of caution re the 0-8 speed changer. I would simply refrain from going above 5. Check the sliding sheave. It should NOT have the step at the bore. The step prevents adjusting until the belt rubbed on the shaft.

The first speed changer I obtained had not only had an ear welded back on and reinforce, but was also welded down the middle. Can't remember without pulling it out again if the second ear was also repaired. At any rate, the machine it came in was well used on a farm.

The ER I just got that I pictured above was kept very clean. The friend that picked it up for me talked to the owner a bit, and he said even when he used it less, he at least went out once a year and went through all recommended maintenance. It's quite clean, and everything moves well and is lubricated. If I do anything to it, I'll just be putting a new top on its homemade bench and putting it to use.

Also make sure to NOT tighten the speed changer against the headstock(it needs to float).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

Skip's speed changer setup instructions say to put a thick washer between the speed changer and headstock. Would I still not tighten it with such a spacer in the middle?

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Finger tight only!

Problem arises when attempting to move headstock and changer simultaneously.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

I'm a little lost. Is this the sliding sheave?

The previous owner did crank it to 8 where it scarred the crank shaft threads.
See photo 2.
Attachments
sheave.jpg
sheave.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 10930 times
shaft.jpg
shaft.jpg (97.61 KiB) Viewed 10930 times
Bruce Brenner