CFP National Championship Game

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

CFP National Championship Game

Post by jsburger »

Did anyone notice the fly over during the National Anthem? It was a U-2 "Dragon Lady". This has been one of the most secret reconnaissance aircraft other than the SR-71. It is still in service unlike the SR-71. They are flown out of Beale AFB CA by the 9th Reconnaissance Wing among other places around the world.

I have never seen one in an over fly. That was amazing.

I was on Beale AFB a few years ago and they had U-2's and drones.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sehast
Gold Member

Re: CFP National Championship Game

Post by sehast »

I did see that but could not identify what type plane it was since the shot was so quick. I would not have dreamed it was a U-2. Usually fighters are the rule. I wonder what prompted this other than Beale being close by. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

sehast wrote:I did see that but could not identify what type plane it was since the shot was so quick. I would not have dreamed it was a U-2. Usually fighters are the rule. I wonder what prompted this other than Beale being close by. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Yes it was a quick shot. I didn't know at first because that was the last thing one would expect to see. As you said usually fighters or sometimes a B-2. I have DirecTV so I was able to rewind and get another look.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
agleason
Gold Member

Post by agleason »

The best flyover I've seen lately...Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

50th Anniversary Mark V Model 520
Bandsaw, Jointer, Beltsander
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Planes are in "Stealth mode"?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

John,

If you haven't already, you should plan a trip to Dayton for two reasons. Shopsmith HQ is here and also the National Museum of the US Air Force. Not only do they have a U2 and an SR71, but a B1, B2, B52, F22, F35, and an F117, and tons and tons of other planes from the Wright Brothers, WW1 and WW11, missiles and spacecraft. If you haven't visited it is well worth the trip. It is also free to the public.
jcgorla
Gold Member

Post by jcgorla »

WileyCoyote wrote:John,

If you haven't already, you should plan a trip to Dayton for two reasons. Shopsmith HQ is here and also the National Museum of the US Air Force. Not only do they have a U2 and an SR71, but a B1, B2, B52, F22, F35, and an F117, and tons and tons of other planes from the Wright Brothers, WW1 and WW11, missiles and spacecraft. If you haven't visited it is well worth the trip. It is also free to the public.
It's been a while since I've been to Dayton. Purchased my SS at the factory in 1996 when I was stationed there. Does the factory still do retail sales at their location?

I also need to go back to see the AF museum!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

WileyCoyote wrote:John,

Yes, I would love to go to that museum. I also have a cousin that lives in Dayton.

We have an AF Museum here at Hill, AFB that is no slouch. It doesn't compare to Dayton but it has the only SR-71C model ever built, a B-52G, a B-1B and many many other aircraft too numerous to mention.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Pima Space and Air Museum and Bone Yard.

http://www.pimaair.org/
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Back in 2004 I spent three months in Dayton trying a case (for the AF) and got a chance to visit the AF museum there. Just amazing!

My big regret is that I was about 4 years away from "discovering" Shopsmith and so I never got out to the factory.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!