Two new project Mark V plus extras!

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PhilSC
Gold Member

Two new project Mark V plus extras!

Post by PhilSC »

Yesterday I got a Shopsmith lot from an estate sale on Craigslist. Pretty rough shape, but lots to work with! I got two sets of legs and tubes, two jointers, tables, a band saw, a jig saw, and assorted other bits. One intact headstock and the other is just a gutted casting. I already bought a lot of PB blaster, assorted abrasives, and some casters for a jig to turn the tubes.
What do you think? Suggestions and ideas welcome!
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Two new project Mark V plus extras!

Post by everettdavis »

Welcome to the restoration family!

There is a lot to be learned from those who have been here and done that.

For background, we love photos here.

Not knowing your knowledge and experience, you might give us some background on your new addiction.

User Mickyd in 2009 did a restoration thread on his 1955 Greenie that you may find useful for reference. Yours may or may not be that old.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 634#p31634

User ddvann79 did a 1962 Goldie one

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 712#p77712

I put those out there as some raw meat since each have substance and photos.

For reference materials and some guides that I developed you may find lots of documentation, manuals, exploded parts views (re-drawn or re-oriented for clarity) under the My Google Drive link at the following post.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

There you will find a document under the first page of My Google Drive Link titled Buying a Used Shopsmith v.2.PDF that will give you a great deal of foundational reference.

In Sub folders of My Google Drive Link you will find among the Sub-directories these sorts of items.... there is more there.

Rust & Paint - where Got Rust.PDF is a reststoration bible of sorts with numerous methods and products discussed, even linked videos.

1954+ Mark 5 - where some of the early restored manuals are.

Parts and Accessories - Setscrews with part numbers and applications, casters, other items illustrated

Drawings - Mark V & Mark 7 - where many useful reworked and enhanced drawings exist including standard part and accessories (some comparing various versions through the decades) which is helpful in knowing what you have.

Adjustments and Alignments - variety of subjects in assembly or alignments

Bearings - Shopsmith Bearings Guide.PDF which is extensive with photos and examples of how to remove, install, select replacements etc.

Motors - Lots of info on Motor Start Circuits and a framework for a Motor Guide I am writing hopefully this year.

Read through the entire first post as there are links to things available on the Shopsmith site that are quite useful such as Summary Manuals etc.

Good Luck, and as I said we love photos.

You have to keep them below 2 megabytes each, and no taller that 1180 pixels or wider than 2050. It is a two step process. It will let you know if it is rejected but it tests file size first. It still could be too tall or wide. Once you get it proportioned, it can be attached and placed in line within the text if needed.

Everett
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

Thank you, Everett! I already have a Mark V that only needed a little attention.
I’ll post pictures from my desktop later tonight!
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

Sorry, I still haven’t quite figured out how to post pics, but I’m posting an update.
1) Dismantled everything except the headstock.
2) Acquired missing nut and bolt replacements from Ace Hardware.
3) Evaporusted lower tubes in pvc pipe contraption.
4) Way tubes weren’t too rusty, so I just polished, degreased and paste waxed them.
5) Polished, degreased and waxed lower tubes.
6) Evaporusted all the pins, fasteners and other ferrous parts.
7) Here’s where I tried something new: After I cleaned off the ferrous parts, I coated all of them with a solvent based floor was. It seems to prevent flash rusting. I’ll see how it goes.
8) I have cleaned the castings and cleaned and sanded the legs. The legs are in primer, and once the castings are sanded, they will be, too. I’m going to get matching paint made up, and apply it with an HVLP paint sprayer.
9) The headstock is a challenge. I don’t think it was well treated- very dirty and the ground pin broken off the plug. I plugged it in and switched it on. All I got was a low hum and a blown breaker. I hitched up my big boy pants and took the back cover off, freeing both power shaft hubs in the process. The sheave on the motor appeared frozen, but a couple shots of wd40 later, it was loose. Crossed my fingers and plugged it in again and this time everything moved! Not too much vibration, but the speed controller is stiff and not indexed to the indicator dial.
So, I’ve been busy, having fun, with a bit to do yet. Going to research how to tune up, lubricate and calibrate the headstock. Then I hope that I can get this beauty back together and up and running!
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

Forgot to mention that I was missing one caster. Grainier has some that fit perfectly for about 7.50 apiece. I replaced all four because they have a ball bearing and may differ in height slightly from the originals.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Sounds like you are progressing nicely. :)

The WD40 will mostly evaporate, so now that it is freed up use a light machine oil.

And, here is a link that will help with posting pictures. http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/commu ... 19246.html

Thanks for the update. :cool:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think the speed control KNOB has stripped gear teeth(gear train turns the speed indicator dial). I recommend getting a reworked(repaired/improved) one from an E-Bay provider. He replaces the cast aluminum gear with a steel insert pinion.

BTW WD-40 is not a good penetrating fluid either. PBblaster is a good one. Do get some #10 MACHINE oil(3 in 1, zoom, turbine, electric motor) for lubrication.

IF the casters are different height, you will discover later why that may be undesirable. It is the stem length that matters as well as what is below it. Potential problem has to do with distance the legs are lifted above the floor
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

Hi! Thanks for the comments. I’ve been using pb blaster for the heavily rusted stuff, and I will definitely lubricate with 3 in 1 oil before I close the headstock up again.

As for the casters, I measured the old shafts, the new shafts and the holes with a micrometer and test fitted one of the new casters. All measurements and the test fit went fine. The ball bearing adds only about 1/4 inch in height below the insertion point, so I hope they clear the floor in the retracted position. I’m going to reassemble everything after I clean up and paint the parts, so I’ll keep you posted! Keep your fingers crossed for me!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

PhilSC wrote:Hi! Thanks for the comments. I’ve been using pb blaster for the heavily rusted stuff, and I will definitely lubricate with 3 in 1 oil before I close the headstock up again.

As for the casters, I measured the old shafts, the new shafts and the holes with a micrometer and test fitted one of the new casters. All measurements and the test fit went fine. The ball bearing adds only about 1/4 inch in height below the insertion point, so I hope they clear the floor in the retracted position. I’m going to reassemble everything after I clean up and paint the parts, so I’ll keep you posted! Keep your fingers crossed for me!
You may need to shim the legs 1/4" to compensate.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange