plow planes

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

plow planes

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have been looking for a decent multi plane for a while now , the stanley 45/55 were the choice panes but found a anant multi plane for a good price , I have read a lot of bad things about the thing , any one have any good things to say about one ?
Thanks
Last edited by Hobbyman2 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
tenbears
Gold Member

Re: plough planes

Post by tenbears »

Find a Stanley 45/55 but you won't regret a new Veritas Plow Plane. The new and improved version has a wide variety of accessory irons that will pretty much cover anything you might want to do that a plow plane is designed for.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: plow planes

Post by Hobbyman2 »

That vritas is a good looking plane !
Thanks , one reason I was looking for a Stanley , I have made custom profile cutters for them .I found a Anant with all of the cutters ,it looks just like the 45 , , I have read a lot of bad about them in the past couple days and don't know any one who has one . if it doesnt work out I will look into the veritas thanks again
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: plough planes

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote:That vritas is a good looking plane !
Thanks , one reason I was looking for a Stanley , I have made custom profile cutters for them .I found a Anant with all of the cutters ,it looks just like the 45 , , I have read a lot of bad about them in the past couple days and don't know any one who has one . if it doesnt work out I will look into the veritas thanks again
I think the reason you can't find anyone who has one is because they are complete junk. At leas that is what I have found from the reviews I have read. Nobody says anything good about them.

Check this link...

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/march2019list.html

That is his March tool list. Everything Stanley and much more. He sends out a monthly listing of stuff he has for sale. The Stanley 45 is listed often. I don't know about his prices but I suspect they are not cheap but at the same time not over the top.

I am sure if you email him he will tell you what he has.

:eek: :eek: I just looked at the first listing on the list.

ST1 #45 combination plane; a very clean ca.1945 example in a
good original box; used a few times, everything that went
into the box when is left Stanley is present, save for the
screw driver; all you need to do with this one is hone a
cutter and start taunting wood with it:
http://www.supertool.com/forsale/mar/t1.jpg $255.00
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thats a good price John and a good link ,,thanks, and you may be right about the quality , I never heard of them , I bought the anant any way and if it doesnt work out ,I should be able to at least get my $ back or use the cutters on another plane , I thought maybe the folks reviewing it didnt know how to use it , I have read a lot of bad reviews about the plane to .
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thought I would give my honest opinion and review the old plane
The plane came today and looks nice , the cutters are still in the original wax paper except for the couple I took out to play with, the nickel plating is like new , the wood handles are all very nice , the cutters I used had to be filed a bit on the top so they would retract into the skates ,they set proud of the skates and it was impossible to use as they were ,they were cutting too deep and there was no way to reduce the depth of cut . other then that it seems to be ok , the guy who had it said something about the fence was not parallel with the skates however when adjusted with the fence micro adjustment screw it trued right up , I will say this if you dont have patience this may not be a plane for you .it took a little doing to get the blades to cut flat ,, I have also heard the same thing about the stanley planes . IMO If this is all you have it will work ,however in todays world and with my shoulders I would rely on a router .
All in all I am happy with the purchase and will enjoy the few hrs of use I will get from it .looking forward to making a few profile cutters
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Thought I would give my honest opinion and review the old plane
The plane came today and looks nice , the cutters are still in the original wax paper except for the couple I took out to play with, the nickel plating is like new , the wood handles are all very nice , the cutters I used had to be filed a bit on the top so they would retract into the skates ,they set proud of the skates and it was impossible to use as they were ,they were cutting too deep and there was no way to reduce the depth of cut . other then that it seems to be ok , the guy who had it said something about the fence was not parallel with the skates however when adjusted with the fence micro adjustment screw it trued right up , I will say this if you dont have patience this may not be a plane for you .it took a little doing to get the blades to cut flat ,, I have also heard the same thing about the stanley planes . IMO If this is all you have it will work ,however in todays world and with my shoulders I would rely on a router .
All in all I am happy with the purchase and will enjoy the few hrs of use I will get from it .looking forward to making a few profile cutters
What, no pics?! ;)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

new pics 769.jpg
new pics 769.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 25042 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Now that's a cool-looking plane. In light of all the negative reviews, it was very interesting to hear that it only took a bit of fettling to get it working decently.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

after playing with the plane I have another small issue that wasnt noticed before , the plane has several depth stops , the main stop has a grove / notch in it that basically wraps around the cutter , the notch is on the wrong side of the shoe to wrap around the cutters ,it doesnt seem to bother the operation , I will have one made or this one remade , I may even have it nickel plated to match ,looks like a simple fix for the local machine shop .it would appear the shoe was attached upside down on the shaft from the maker .