Need a new winter project...

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Need a new winter project...

Post by edflorence »

A few years ago I lucked into a large number of 1x6 tongue and groove boards of random lengths. Most of the pieces were Western White Pine. In between smaller projects, I have spent time the last few winters recycling a number of those boards into a china hutch for our dining room.

The plans for the piece come from a book called American Country Furniture, by Nick Engler and MJ Favorite. In the book, this piece is called a Step Back Cabinet. I followed the plans pretty closely, making only a few small changes. For one, I added a shelf to the base of the piece and for another I used magnetic catches for the doors instead of the wooden catches detailed in the plans. Also, due to the narrow width of the 1x6 boards once the tongues and grooves were ripped off and the edges jointed, there are more back boards than the plans call for. Overall, I found the plans and the suggested procedure to be really accurate and well-detailed.

The snow is melting these days and the afternoons are getting longer and warmer, so I think it is time to finish the current summer project -10 x 16 solar greenhouse - which has been going on for about as long as the china hutch. Just need to finish painting the interior and siding the exterior. Then it will be time to start thinking of the next winter project.

Hutch Exterior.jpg
Hutch Exterior.jpg (159.16 KiB) Viewed 12452 times
Attachments
Hutch interior.jpg
Hutch interior.jpg (179.88 KiB) Viewed 12452 times
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Need a new winter project...

Post by RFGuy »

edflorence wrote:A few years ago I lucked into a large number of 1x6 tongue and groove boards of random lengths. Most of the pieces were Western White Pine. In between smaller projects, I have spent time the last few winters recycling a number of those boards into a china hutch for our dining room.

The plans for the piece come from a book called American Country Furniture, by Nick Engler and MJ Favorite. In the book, this piece is called a Step Back Cabinet. I followed the plans pretty closely, making only a few small changes. For one, I added a shelf to the base of the piece and for another I used magnetic catches for the doors instead of the wooden catches detailed in the plans. Also, due to the narrow width of the 1x6 boards once the tongues and grooves were ripped off and the edges jointed, there are more back boards than the plans call for. Overall, I found the plans and the suggested procedure to be really accurate and well-detailed.

The snow is melting these days and the afternoons are getting longer and warmer, so I think it is time to finish the current summer project -10 x 16 solar greenhouse - which has been going on for about as long as the china hutch. Just need to finish painting the interior and siding the exterior. Then it will be time to start thinking of the next winter project.

Hutch Exterior.jpg
Ed,

Very nice! Your post reminded me of the first furniture project that I did right after getting married which was to build my wife one of these to hold all the China she got from the wedding. It looks like you picked a wavy pattern glass for the doors, which I am a fan of. Is that correct on the glass?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

RFGuy wrote:
Very nice! Your post reminded me of the first furniture project that I did right after getting married which was to build my wife one of these to hold all the China she got from the wedding. It looks like you picked a wavy pattern glass for the doors, which I am a fan of. Is that correct on the glass?

Yes...We are pretty lucky to have a very accomplished stained glass artist in town and she helped me find some really nice textured glass for the hutch. I wanted the texture but not so much that the colors and details of the contents of the hutch couldn't be seen.

Glad you mentioned the glass, because that brings up one other change I made to the plans. According to the plans, the glass was to be installed with glaziers points and glaziers putty...Instead, I opted to use a thin bead of clear silicone. Worked great and is nearly invisible.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Super work!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

very nice !
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)