Lighter replacement for main table for horizontal boring

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

epodietz
Gold Member

Lighter replacement for main table for horizontal boring

Post by epodietz »

Here is what I would like to be able to do - maybe someone out there has done it or knows how it could be done.

I want to be able to mount one my extension tables in place of the main table so the height of the table can be adjusted in the same way the main table height is adjusted.

Here's why: I mainly use my SS for wood turning and sometimes I need to drill holes in horizontal drilling mode. I want to be able to quickly replace the lathe tool rest with an extension table so that I can clamp the work I am drilling onto the extension table and drill it.

The main table is too cumbersome to make this change quickly, that's why I want to use one of the lightweight extension tables instead.

Thanks,
Eric in Philly
epodietz
Gold Member

Re: Lighter replacement for main table for horizontal boring

Post by epodietz »

ps Just so you know I know: I am able to mount an extension table in place of the tailstock, but the height adjustment there is just too cumbersome.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

epodietz wrote:ps Just so you know I know: I am able to mount an extension table in place of the tailstock, but the height adjustment there is just too cumbersome.
Just get an adjustable stop collar and use it on the extension table. It is more precise than the main table height adjustment. I have them on my main tables and all of my extension tables.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... collar.htm
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
epodietz
Gold Member

Post by epodietz »

Thanks for the tip regarding the adjustable stop collar. I will order one from SS.

I am still interested in finding a way to use an extension table instead of the main table so I can leave the tailstock in place. Any ideas?

Eric
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

epodietz wrote:Thanks for the tip regarding the adjustable stop collar. I will order one from SS.

I am still interested in finding a way to use an extension table instead of the main table so I can leave the tailstock in place. Any ideas?

Eric
Short of a custom made adapter to mount an aux table on the main table post/trunion assembly I don't know. That would probably not save much if any weight.

The other thing would be a completely custom adapter that would be a very simple tie bar to mount a set of main table posts and an aux table.

Removing and reinstalling the tail stock is just as simple as the tool rest and does not change any settings so to me the stop collar is the easiest and best solution.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am not certain that I understand your issue with the Main Table but if weight reduction is your primary objective (while maintaining the functionality of the table system and the height adjust ability of the Carriage) why not just replace the "heavy" main table with a home brew table (a piece of plywood attached to the trunnions).

or

Get a second Table Bar and Tube Assembly (514344...frequently available on eBay) and mount the home brew there.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

And... once again the case is made for more than one Shopsmith. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
epodietz
Gold Member

Post by epodietz »

I like the home brew idea...would just need the threaded tubes.

Thx!
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

You essentially want a lathe duplicator table but without the slippery top surface.

Check to see if Shopsmith has lathe duplicator table parts #34 & 35 in stock. See diagram. https://www.shopsmith.com/service/lathe ... iagram.htm

Skip # 32 -- it has a slick top that you won't want. Substitute a layer of playwood.

Incidentally, the actual stock numbers you want are two of p/n 514697 Lathe Duplicator Table Support and twp of p/n 514416 Tool Rest Post. See https://www.shopsmith.com/service/lathe ... iagram.htm

You'll also need some miscellaneous hardware to put it all together.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

algale wrote:You essentially want a lathe duplicator table but without the slippery top surface.

Check to see if Shopsmith has lathe duplicator table parts #34 & 35 in stock. See diagram. https://www.shopsmith.com/service/lathe ... iagram.htm

Skip # 32 -- it has a slick top that you won't want. Substitute a layer of playwood.

Incidentally, the actual stock numbers you want are two of p/n 514697 Lathe Duplicator Table Support and twp of p/n 514416 Tool Rest Post. See https://www.shopsmith.com/service/lathe ... iagram.htm

You'll also need some miscellaneous hardware to put it all together.
Atta boy, Al! :cool:

Now I’m wondering what I could gin up with those parts ... :rolleyes: