metal toggle switch--how old?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sfwood
Silver Member

metal toggle switch--how old?

Post by sfwood »

Hi, new here, and new to Shopsmith.
Looking to purchase my first SS and have a line on a used one. The one I'm going to look at in the next day or two has a 510 fence / table system but must have been upgraded because the headstock has a metal toggle switch and looks quite "weathered" :--). Anyone know when metal switches were last used, or can tell me how much I should worry about the age of the headstock (assuming it starts and runs smoothly) and support bits?
Thanks!
Steve
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: metal toggle switch--how old?

Post by JPG »

Do not 'worry' about any of that! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

ours has a metal switch and believe it t be made in the mid 80's , unless it was kept in a damp location or mistreated you shlouldnt have a issue .far as the headstock ? parts are still available along with upgrades .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

My Greenie still has it's original toggle switch. My 510 toggle switch has been replaced once. The Greenie was made 30 years earlier than my 510 so I doubt the switch manufacturers are making them better than in the old days.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

The "C" headstock was introduced with the red safety switch in 1991. The 510 was introduced in 1985. Unless there are other obvious clues such as paint scheme ("Greenie" or "Goldie"), or serial number, it is possible that the used machine you are investigating started life as a 510 between 1985 and 1991.

A short history on Shopsmith from Shopsmith itself:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm

A more complete history, as well as much more information about what to look for when buying a used machine can be found in Everett Davis' "Buying a used Shopsmith v2.pdf"

This guide is just one of many useful and informative documents that Everett has contributed. At the top of the Maintenance and Repair Forum, the first three posts ("stickies" that always stay at the top) are full of helpful information.

Good luck finding your first Shopsmith.
Attachments
Buying a used Shopsmith v2.pdf
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 2991 times
sfwood
Silver Member

Post by sfwood »

Wow--thanks for all the helpful responses! What a great forum.
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Welcome! I'm the original owner of a 1986 510 with it's original metal switch. Not uncommon. Good luck!
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

"Metal" toggle switches are still the norm. I have a a "metal" toggle switch on my 5HP Quincy 220 V compressor to actuate the 110 V relay to start the compressor. Never a problem.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sfwood
Silver Member

Post by sfwood »

So, got a new old SS home, metal switch and all :--). It's a 510 that had a 520 fence upgrade installed. I have a dumb question--should the main table be able to sit on its own while you get around to locking it or do they all slowly sink unless one holds on to the table or crank until locked? I know one wouldn't saw with it unlocked but it would be nice if it stayed in place while making adjustments. Thanks
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

sfwood wrote: --should the main table be able to sit on its own while you get around to locking it or do they all slowly sink unless one holds on to the table or crank until locked?
Not a dumb question at all. I have a 500 and the table has to be locked to stay in any raised position. Would assume true for a 505/510/520/Mark 7 as well, but maybe someone who has the larger table will confirm. When everything is clean and well waxed, mine won't just slowly sink, it will descend rapidly.