Platinum Member

Magic Rollback Can

Post by reible »

Rolling a non magic can:

Updated videos with rotation corrected:

https://youtu.be/4jzZzgYZ3BI

Rolling a magic can:

https://youtu.be/Ei17u4ahifY

Sorry I have to figure out how to rotate the iphone video or reshoot but for now this should give you the idea of what we are talking about.

You can use just about any can but since I was doing three of these as gifts for grandchildren I wanted them to neat and clean so I went to Lowe's hardware and got paint cans. I also made one out of a peanut butter clear jar so you can see how it works, you know the "Magic".

I used a nut but other weights will work. Here is a shot of most of the parts you need. I was going to tape the nut on but changed my mind and went to a zip tie. The tape was still used to mark the center of then ends of the cans.
mrc1.jpg
mrc1.jpg (252.66 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
The following are a few shots of the assembly details not that you will need them since it pretty simple stuff:
mrc2.jpg
mrc2.jpg (124.11 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
mrc3.jpg
mrc3.jpg (261.31 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
mrc4.jpg
mrc4.jpg (157.02 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
mrc5.jpg
mrc5.jpg (216.93 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
mrc6.jpg
mrc6.jpg (231.35 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
And while I only got to see one grandson play with his it was a big hit. It got a lot more use and play time then anything else at the birthday party.

The rubber bands do wear out so expect to have to replace them from time to time.

If the mystery is not clear in your mind I'll do a video of the clear version so you can see it in action.

This was not my idea, saw it on a tv show a while back, forgot the guys name but he does/did science shows.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Magic Rollback Can

Post by algale »

Ed,

I love it! To heck with the kids, I think that would entertain me for a couple of hours!

Only I would have named it "Sisyphus' Can" or maybe "Sisyphus' Stone." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

I could envision making one out of wood. Either a series of strips with Bird's mouth joints on the edges with top and bottom added. Or turned and hollowed out on the lathe (like a round box with a lid). Or even a segmented turning.

Best,
Al
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Cool Idea!

Thanks for posting, I think my grandson might like this.

John
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Nice project, :cool: Thanks for sharing. :)

ps Shouldn't a "Magic Rollback" Can have the Mall Wart happy face :) on the ends? ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,